The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
swamp rat

PS Pump housing.

My stock PS Pump has the return fitting at about the 11 oclock position as your looking at the back of it, i have bought a rebuilt unit and its return fitting is at about the 9:30 position.

The problem with this is that even with a new belt the return hose gets pushed up against the PS bracket when the belt is tightened, in effect putting a kink in the hose, i have been able to put a 1/2" shorter belt on it and that has helped to a degree.

Want to know if anyone else has run into this problem and how you went about solving it? did you find a part # to order the correct replacement? where at? I have been to 3 different auto parts places and got the same result, no luck with finding one with the origional angle.

I have a rebuild kit too but my origional PS housing is pretty dented up, don't know if its gonna be a leaker if i reuse it. If i could get my hands on a used pump with a good housing like mine i'd surly buy it just for the housing.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Sammy

Re: PS Pump housing.

I don't recall the return fitting being that high on a sm block V8. Need more info on your application and a pic. As far as replacement PS pumps GMC Pauls or a board vendor would be a better choice when needing replacement parts because they use and install what they sell and will not lead you into difficult or additional problems that they have not encountered.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
cdowns

i've had problems getting same locations on ps pumps// the guy at carquest will bring out the book that has pictures and locations with measurements that way i've gotten the correct replacement pumps// to do this you need to go in t slow times in the store and b patient and lucky enough to gget an old guy as they know how to open and go thru books for ya
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
swamp rat

Hi Sammy,
Heres a pic, its off a 72 chevy 350 engine on my 4X4. The screwdriver represents the return line location on the replacements i have been able to find.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
swamp rat

Hi Cdowns,

Yea thats what we did at the napa store, don't know if you have any idea, the only pump we found with the same angle is a "teardrop" style off of i beleve a 76-78ish truck.I have no idea if it would bolt up..

I'm gonna go stop by a wrecking yard and see if i can scrounge one up, but in the mean time i did chuck a piece of pipe in the vice and was able to get the biggest parts of the dents out,still not sure if it would be a leaker tho.. If all else fails i'll bal GMC Pauls later on. Thanks!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Sammy

I see..Wonder if thats a 4 X 4 specfic item just like the upper rad hose and the rad shroud?

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

Old 08-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Sammy

The ones I've seen always pointed towards the 6 or 8 direction.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

My 72 K10 is a mutt combination of various parts including a fair number from an 85 truck. I never found a replacement pump can that worked. I finally cleaned the old can up, painted it, and put it on a rebuilt pump with new O-rings.

The pumps themselves are pretty generic if not all the same...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Sammy

I have mounted 80's style pumps in our brackets I believe as long as you stay with the correct and same style pulley shaft they will bolt up to each others brackets. The pressure fittings and style of that port differ some what but you can swap your old fitting in it's place to use your pressure line.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
My 72 K10 is a mutt combination of various parts including a fair number from an 85 truck. I never found a replacement pump can that worked. I finally cleaned the old can up, painted it, and put it on a rebuilt pump with new O-rings.

The pumps themselves are pretty generic if not all the same...

Thats what i want to do, I have most of the dings out of the can now, but because of them the fluid allways weeped out from around the big O-ring, I don't know if this can can be salvaged just yet.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I have mounted 80's style pumps in our brackets I believe as long as you stay with the correct and same style pulley shaft they will bolt up to each others brackets. The pressure fittings and style of that port differ some what but you can swap your old fitting in it's place to use your pressure line.

Ok Thanks Sammy, i'll keep the info at hand if my rebuild dows not pan out..

Guess as a last resort if i really need to i can take the can off the rebuilt thats on there now and have the thing cut off and rewelded at a proper angle.

>>>>Just so No one gets confused here, i couldn't figure out how to change the screan name so i made an account with my Trucks new name, sometimes i forget and log into the old account, guess i should delete it.. <<<<

Last edited by swamp rat; 08-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.