The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Trucknut57

I need some opinions on suspensions.

I recently got another stock frame for my 57 to replace the bent one it currently has. The truck is currently running around town with a volarie front and a camaro rear.

I like the volarie for the ride but dont like the fact that there aren't any replacement parts for the torsion bars and I haven't found anyone in my area that can align the front without messing it all up.

So my question is this: If you have some what limited funds, what would you guys do for the front suspension?

Another Volarie? Mustang II? Camaro clip? Keep the straight axle? Make it into a 4x4? I can't afford to do a corvette suspension. I don't want it to low because of the streets around here really suck.

And how much will it drop the front end?

Thanks,
Wess

Last edited by Trucknut57; 08-22-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
bobinbc

Re: I need some opinions on suspensions.

If you can find a donor car that doesn't need the front end completely rebuilt, the clip is an economical way to go. 70-81 Camaro&Firebird and 75-79 Nova and GM variants are all quite similar and will work.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Trucknut57

Doesn't anybody else have an opinion?

Which option has the best ride quality?
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
OKGMC4

What's wrong with the vette suspension? I've seen them for $500. It wasn't that hard to install. You could check mine out as a reference guide, and I can tell you what NOT to do. My frame was bent and I sorted it out my self. The whole thing set me back 2 months. Camaro clip has lots of aftermarket support. Have you seen the 59' build in the projects forum that's getting a full 88-98 frame? It looks easy enough to do, too. I still like my C4 stuff, though I'd LOVE to do a full Cadillac frame swap with a Northstar and AWD!

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
bobinbc

OKGMC4 your build is great, I really like the way you built all your own mounts for the Vette pieces. The aftermarket wants about ~$1600 I think for the same stuff + corvette pieces.

Trucknut what is most important to you? Ride quality? Cost? amount of welding and fabrication involved? I like the late model full frame swap idea too, you can pick up a rusty 89-95 chevy 4x4 around here for under $1000 with good running gear.

I would be tempted to fix the frame you have if you like the ride. Any pro body shop can do that. Parts should still be available for the volare, buy everything you need to get it in good shape for $200-300 and take it to a competent shop and it's done. This would be waaaay easier and much cheaper than building another frame and swapping the entire truck over. (I'm building a chassis for my 57 while it sits on the original frame, not a weekend job, at least for me )

Just my 2.5 cents

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote