The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
jayft8

stock brake drum size on 3/4 ton 58 Apache

Hello to all- brand new member here.

first a little background:
I am the recent fortunate recipient of my grandfather's old 1958 3/4 ton Apache - all original.
I am in TX, the pickup is in ALabama and has been sitting many years. Naturally the tires are all flat and rotted.
I plan to go out to retrieve the Old Man this fall.
What I want to do is go there prepared with a spare set of wheels ready with adequate tires so I can trailer up and out as smoothly as possible.
I've got a line on a set of 15 X 7; 8 lug on 6.5 wheels that are fairly cheap. My concern would be in the fitment issue with potential for interference from the brake drum and a 15" wheel. I wouldn't worry too much about a 15" rim on anything built fairly recently; but automotive/part design has changed a lot since the 50s. I would be afraid to discover a 16" wheel is a minimum requirement.

Which finally brings me to my question:
Anyone out there able to give me front and rear OEM brake drum diameters for a 1958 3/4 ton?
Or from experience can anyone tell me that a 15" wheel will fit without any problems?

I'm reading through the forum and see that a lot of the projects are updating suspension and drivetrains, but if there's anyone that can talk to me about stock OEM; I'd really appreciate any assistance one can provide.

thanks

JT
jayft8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: stock brake drum size on 3/4 ton 58 Apache

According to my data book for 59 it came with 17.5 x 5 inch wheels or 19.5 x 5 inch for heavy duty. If you got some 8 lug rims from a 80's or 90's truck you should be ok. The front and rear brakes are 12x2. The bolt pattern is 6.5"

Last edited by dwcsr; 08-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
jayft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
According to my data book for 59 it came with 17.5 x 5 inch wheels or 19.5 x 5 inch for heavy duty. If you got some 8 lug rims from a 80's or 90's truck you should be ok. The front and rear brakes are 12x2. The bolt pattern is 6.5"
Thanks for the awesome info Dave! that's just exactly what I needed.

"according to my data book" . . . I like the sound of that; gotta get me one of them.

JT
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayft8 View Post
Thanks for the awesome info Dave! that's just exactly what I needed.

"according to my data book" . . . I like the sound of that; gotta get me one of them.

JT
The Salesman Data Books are full of good info. They sell on ebay anywhere from $25 to $125. They can be hard to find. I looked for a year because I didn't want to pay $125 for one. I ended up getting it for about $40. There is one on there now starting at $85, item 260649631182
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
jayft8

Quote:
The Salesman Data Books are full of good info. They sell on ebay anywhere from $25 to $125. They can be hard to find. I looked for a year because I didn't want to pay $125 for one. I ended up getting it for about $40. There is one on there now starting at $85, item 260649631182
Thanks again Dave for sharing exactly the kind of specific and useful info I need.
I was wondering about the source and I have never heard of a Salesman Data Book before.
I am building up a library for myself and have a few books from the Motorbooks International publishing house. They're kind of hit and miss. Lots of pictures which is good; some useful technical info, but not too thorough.
I've found a lead on some manuals and made a note but don't have my file with me at the moment. You obviously know a lot more about this than me, but I'll try to look you up here soon and get that source to you just in case it might yeild something beneficial for you.

Thanks for the e-bay tip! I'm not sure I would have ever discovered that on my own. I'm definitely going to watch and get one. Like you, I think I may shop for a while on that one. I'm sure $85 or more would be a fair price considering the value of hard to find information, but $75 or less would be more in my price range.

thanks again

JT
Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The Salesman data books are put out by GM each year. I have the 50,59, and 60. The 50 is a reprint but still a good reference. I think I learned more about these truck from those book than anywhere else. The acessory books are good also
Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
jayft8

Quote:
well I got it! It is a prize I will cherish and it is worth every penny!

just opened it last night and have already used it to help another guy out with a question on his 1958 1-ton. I have you Dave and the members of this forum to thank, because I don't know if I ever would have heard of a Salesmen's Data Book any other way.