The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Trying to save on my build in all aspects

Trying to find out info on using off name parts such as repro panels, ebay off brand manifolds/heads/headers, etc. I want to have a good looking driver, not interested in perfect show quality NOS truck things as my goals are to have a toy to drive the hell out of and enjoy it for what it is. Gonna continue to learn as I go and do everything from bodywork to electrical myself. My major goal is to get on the road by summer 2011, at this point I'm stripping to the frame still, have some parts aquired that were deals, and a few that were on the truck and repairable when I bought it. If anyone can point me to other threads or if you have personal experience with using say Summit brand carbs/Cyclone manifolds, etc that would be great. Done a few builds now and like always they go way over budget, this one I haven't set a budget but I'm hoping to stay under $10k with wheels and tires, keep in mind I'm painting it myself, other than say an intake, cam, and carb my motor is strong, and the only real big expense other than the repro sheet metal for my box is the cpp grand slam and 5lug conversion, any info would be great thanks.
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Trying to save on my build in all aspects

What Summit sells with their logo is made for them by a major manufacturer. For instance, their exhaust headers have virtually the same part number as FloTech. As for sheet metal not being NOS, what do you think the majority of people use? Right, reproduction parts and pieces. It's what the aftermarket industry is all about.....making the stuff that people need and use when they can't buy new any more. There are a number of people on here who make/sell what you need and want. Tri-Pro is on that I have bought from, as I have also bought from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. Check out the list of vendors on the forum and see what you can find.

As for your $10K goal....good luck. That was my goal, too. Now, I'm somewhat over that budget and my truck is like the hash browns at a Waffle House......scattered and splattered, smothered and covered.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
lpaine

You could scour the wrecking yards for a good '71 + up complete front crossmember with disc brakes, that would likely save you some $ instead of having to buy new disc spindles, and a 5-lug rear axle while you're at it. You could probably find a decent master cylinder/prop valve/booster at a wreckers too. Can't think of anything else right now. Best of luck.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
What Summit sells with their logo is made for them by a major manufacturer. For instance, their exhaust headers have virtually the same part number as FloTech. As for sheet metal not being NOS, what do you think the majority of people use? Right, reproduction parts and pieces. It's what the aftermarket industry is all about.....making the stuff that people need and use when they can't buy new any more. There are a number of people on here who make/sell what you need and want. Tri-Pro is on that I have bought from, as I have also bought from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. Check out the list of vendors on the forum and see what you can find.

As for your $10K goal....good luck. That was my goal, too. Now, I'm somewhat over that budget and my truck is like the hash browns at a Waffle House......scattered and splattered, smothered and covered.
Good to know, I will be alot less leery about going that route then, and the 10k goal......the last 73-87 I built had a 10k goal as well.....turned into around 25k, it's amazing what happens when the economy booms, thanks for the advice
52 short project
Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaine View Post
You could scour the wrecking yards for a good '71 + up complete front crossmember with disc brakes, that would likely save you some $ instead of having to buy new disc spindles, and a 5-lug rear axle while you're at it. You could probably find a decent master cylinder/prop valve/booster at a wreckers too. Can't think of anything else right now. Best of luck.
the issue with this is the location I'm in, the wreckers that do have these truck for some reason think they are made of gold and were all rare, guy tried $400 for a cab with such extensive floor rot i turned him down not only on price but worry the main structure could be warped and to drive to scotts super trucks i would be better off just calling CPP, had an ad on the online classifieds here for over a year for a 67-72 c10 for parts, only 2 replies and both wanted premium money for junk
52 short project
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
tonypaul

For the first time I way under budjet on my project. I have been getting some great deals on Ebay and craigslist. I even have purchased some things that I resold and made a good profit. Just take your time and plan very carefully. Make a list of all the things you need and watch your local craigslist (if you have one) and Ebay and you might save some money..
Good luck with your project!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
For the first time I way under budjet on my project. I have been getting some great deals on Ebay and craigslist. I even have purchased some things that I resold and made a good profit. Just take your time and plan very carefully. Make a list of all the things you need and watch your local craigslist (if you have one) and Ebay and you might save some money..
Good luck with your project!
You bet , been doing this so far, got about $800 invested in parts that should have been $1500, being where I am is limiting but ebay is always good
52 short project
Old 08-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

If you aren't worried about having a winning show truck and even then most of the repops are good quality, you can get anything you need from the board vendors like Ray said. I know that many of the builders on here use repop parts(me included). Ya, they all need a little tweaking here and there, but the cost outweighs the benefit. Unless you have an unlimited budget. And I know most of us, don't. Keep up the ebay and craigslist and I'm sure you'll save money here and there. And use the board vendors any time you can, they are supporting us here too.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
classicchev

Hi from southern Alberta. There are a few parts on Kijiji, but there always are deal around with guys that have stopped there project for some reason and need to sell off the parts. I have bought a ton of stuff this way, and will continue to do so.

I have a body parts available, no short box sides though. Pretty much everything else available and all very nice original stuff. If you need something let me know.

Darren
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

For sure, this site is great, learning everyday, and the ebay ad online classifieds can be great, picked up a repop fender, floor patches, cab corners, inner/outer rockers, amd fender patches for $300 the other day, the fender is $250 up here alone
52 short project
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicchev View Post
Hi from southern Alberta. There are a few parts on Kijiji, but there always are deal around with guys that have stopped there project for some reason and need to sell off the parts. I have bought a ton of stuff this way, and will continue to do so.

I have a body parts available, no short box sides though. Pretty much everything else available and all very nice original stuff. If you need something let me know.

Darren
will do I have a possible 67 small window cab lined up in Calgary for free from a board member who's exact words were rather see it go to use than get scrapped, pretty cool, just waiting for him to reply with a date to come get it so I will contact you on my way down, looking for a good 67-68 chevy grille, passenger fender and cowl, my hood and doors are decent but if you have some i will have a look to weigh out if they're better than mine though, thanks
52 short project