The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Wrightbrothers

dropped axle VS mono leaf question

I'm about ready to lower my '51. Has anyone had enough experience with these two different methods of lowering the front end to offer a comparison??? What are the advantages/disadvantages with each? The claim is that either will drop the front 3 inches, which is what I'm looking for.
The cost is about 40 bucks less for mono leaves and it doesn't look like any other modifications are needed. It seems like I've heard somewhere that they offer a pretty crappy ride though.
The dropped axle is most likely gonna require modified steering arms(?) and there is a risk of ending up with an improper scrub line...

Thanks for any help/advise... I appreciate it..

Rich
Wrightbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Wrightbrothers

Re: dropped axle VS mono leaf question

I've been doing some research and it seems that mono leaf springs, especially for the front are not the best, most reliable, way to lower... Too much risk of disaster in the event one breaks. Also, it seems the ride is pretty bad.

Think I'll spend a few extra bucks and use a dropped axle.

rich
Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
mylow53

i drove my truck with weaken leafs for a lower stance and they worked fine remember all leafs have one master that connects them to the truck. i would go with the drop axel if i had a choice. you probably need new king pins anyways. regardless this will allow you to maintain a stiffer suspension. this will help it corner....
GT
We need pictures!!!!
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Wrightbrothers

Here's a pic of the truck. It's a frame up rebuild and the suspension is newly rebuilt, so I shouldn't have any issues with king pins, etc. The only modifications I think I'll have to make are dropping the steering knuckles for tie rod clearance and dropping the steering arm coming off the spindle to keep the drag link aligned. Does that sound about right???
My goal is to lower it about 3 inches front and 2 inches back. The rear axle has already been flipped, so lowering blocks or even just removing a leaf will take care of that end. I don't want to remove any more leaves from the front, in fact, with a dropped axle, I'll probably put at least one back (2 are presently out).

I don't want it too low as it's a daily driver, which includes occasional crappy road and dirt hauling duty. It's a nice truck and I don't want to abuse it, but I need to use it... Just don't wanna end dragging anything along...

I was considering the mono leaf option as a way to save a few bucks and maybe do a little less work... I've been down that road so many times in the past, almost alway ending up spending more and working harder
Ya'd think I'd learn......

Rich

Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
enick72

wrightbrothers, what did you end up doing for your truck? Springs, axle?
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I want to know too. That's a nice, nice truck too. Beautiful restoration/stocker
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote