The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Newbie w/o a Clue

New (to me) Fifty Two

OK, so I know next to nothing about cars or trucks. I know where the gas goes, and I've changed my oil, but not much more than that. I like cars, but just never learned about them or got into them. Well a three weeks ago I was on a bus trip to Citi Field, and the bus passed by the most wonderful looking vehicle. I could not get it out of my mind, and went back looking for it. I found that lovely machine, and even though I had no idea what to look for in it, or how to fix it once I found it, I had to have it.

Well its a 1952 Chevy Pickup. I don't know much, but I gather its what they call an AD or Advanced Design (thanx OldIron) and seeing as its got them long running boards down the side I would hazard a guess that it is a stepside. Also guessing I would say short bed, PLEASE correct me if i am wrong about any of this, its the only way I will learn!

The interior has been taken apart and redone some, not in great shape. Its got a GMC wheel and column, automatic transmission, radio from the '90s that doesn't work, power seats from who knows what etc etc etc.

I have no idea what I am doing, but between the all the great things I am hearing about the people on this forum, and a few friends on the outside, I am hoping to make it even more beautiful. She runs like a champ, and have a new Holley carb. I have a couple pics now, and will get you more later today (i hope).

THANX

Cole: I don't know much about cars?
Harry: Neither does any driver.
Newbie w/o a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
MrTucker

Re: New (to me) Fifty Two

First off - it is a beautiful looking truck! Very solid and clean. how about some pics of the interior and motor?

And you're right, it is a short bed (long beds are 9" longer and have a stake pocket in the in front of the rear fender), and it is also a step side - they didn't make fleet sides (non-step sides) until the next generation of pick ups.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Newbie w/o a Clue

Thanx for the info MrTrucker!

As promised here are some more pictures.

Sorry they are not of the best quality, but something happened and I cannot seem to find my digital camera, these were take with my phone, and then reduced so they were not crazy huge. If anyone wants the giants version (about 5x bigger) I have them too.

thanx!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
MrTucker

Interesting...looks like the steering column, wheel, and dash out of a van - never seen that one before.

What about front suspension? I'm asking because a lot of people cut and weld on a totally new front subframe - I wonder if that's what happened to your truck.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
solidaxel

Welcome from So Arizona.

Well you picked up a nice ride, and it looks like there was a lot of work done by the PO.
You said it runs good, but more important HOW does it stop !!!

Your biggest chalange going forward, is keeping it running, so you will have to learn how to fix what breaks, so pay attention to sounds and feelings while your are driving, you don't need to build the truck just maintain it and maybe make some upgrades.

I don't know what shop labor goes for in your neck of the woods, but you may want to find a "friend" you can trust who will point you in the right direction.

Ask these folke on this board a lot of queastions BEFORE you take it to a shop it will save you some time and money.

Try and find someone in your area who has a AD truck and ask them where he buys his parts or who does his work.
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

First, congratulations. Nice truck.
Second, HUGE kudos for not knowing about cars and NOT letting it stop you from pursuing a dream. There will be plenty of times you may be temtped to lose motivation - don't. Come here and these guys' work will pump you up.
Dan in Pasadena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
bobinbc

Looks like you've found a great, FUN truck! As has already been mentioned, brakes and steering are the most important things to make sure are in good shape. Do what it needs to keep it safe and reliable but DON"T TEAR IT ALL APART! Drive it, have fun ! I'm GREEN with envy!

Oh yeah, and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 08-31-2010 at 02:50 AM.
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Newbie w/o a Clue

Thank you Everyone for the warm welcome!

MrTrucker: I will climb underneath tomorrow (hopefully) and try to get some picks of her undersides (hmmm that doesn't sound all together wholesome does it?). The more I learn about this truck the more fun I can have, right?

solidaxel: So far she stops really well, hittin' the dime and giving me about 6 cents change. I believe they are drum brakes, and under carriage shots will help you guys tell me for sure. I have only driving it a few minutes at time on quiet roads since its not registered yet (tomorrow hopefully). Big thanx for the advice on coming here before going to a shop, and I have a buddy who its fixing up a '72 Chevy truck, so he usually willing to lend an ear, or hopefully a hand from time to time. There are a couple car shows, and such coming up, so I will venture there to see if anyone else as an AD, thanx for all the advice!

bobinbc: I promise not to tear it down . I bought it for a fun truck, not parts in my garage, or to make it a prisitine exhibition piece. Mainly because I don't have the know how to use its parts or the money for pristine LOL Brakes seem good, like I said I have to drive more to know for sure. Steering...well it drives like an old truck, so I guess that right. It has power steering, and its easy to turn the wheel, but feels....i guess loose? and moves on her own a bit? Hard to describe, Like Cole Trickle, I just don't have the vocabulary . My bussy said anti-sway bars might help with the feel of that.

Thanx Again Everyone.

Hoping for more pics tomorrow!