The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Trucknut57

Looking for some info for my 57 frame

I just picked up another frame and need some info on a few things.

First, I'm keeping the straight front axle and am installing a 5.3L w/auto. Question: is anyone else doing this and if so what are you using for engine mounts? Bought or home made versions? I've searched and all I find is pics of ones with MII's or camaro's, none with just the straight froint axle.

Second, Where are most of you guys getting your 5.3's from? I check my areas craigslist everyday and nothing. I have called most of the junk yards and nobody sells a complete dropout or they just don't have anything "that new", 2007 and up. Ebay is a joke and I check car-parts.com daily also.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Wess

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: Looking for some info for my 57 frame

why does it have to be an 07 and up? my 5.3 is an 05. bought it from my local junk yard. they usually have 2 or 3 in stock. if you watch them really close they'll even have a 6.0 on the shelf or in a rig. if your in a tight spot they can get on their network and locate you one. my 5.3/4l60e with 60k miles was $1500. all accessories and un-cut wiring harness.

Fab your engine mounts. or get a universal sbc mount kit with the relocation kit.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
lonelywanderer

you should be able to just use the side mounts like suggested above me or i seen those cross member looking motor mount set ups. i think cpp makes one
lonelywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Tchia65

I had a 5.3 with a 4L60e in a 58. The yards do have them, mine was from a 30k roll over on the grapevine. The straight axle does cause problems though. The stock manifolds are wider then the frame rails, so the frame had to be clearanced unless you run the corvette manifolds that are more like block huggers plus higher flow. I had bolt in cross members for the tranny and the engine. One major problem is the stock column and the engine cross member want to be in the same spot. If you keep the stock steering box you have to cut out the firewall and set the engine back. Would recommend swapping to power steering at the same time and getting a column saver so the engine can be mounted in a normal spot. If you want pics of the engine cross member let me know, I've got it our since I'm doing an IFS swap right now. Heres a pic of my 5.3 coming out, and a pic of the manifolds you should get.
Attached Images

1972 Malibu wagon
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Trucknut57

blackdiesel: I'm wanting an 07 and up so I can get one with the least amount of miles on it.

Tchia65:
I plan on upgrading to ps so clearance shouldn't be an issue. Will a stock 5.3L oil pan clear the axle and what year of corvette manifolds should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Wess

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Tchia65

The LQM pans hang pretty low. Depending on how low your truck is it might be an issue. I'm looking for an LS1 pan now. Not sure what year corvette, a guy just gave me those the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[U
Tchia65[/U]:
I plan on upgrading to ps so clearance shouldn't be an issue. Will a stock 5.3L oil pan clear the axle and what year of corvette manifolds should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Wess
1972 Malibu wagon
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote