The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
degree01

Power Steering box conversion expert opinion

Please help, I am in need of an experts opinion, I am converting my 66 Chevy c10 with a newer model power steering box and I have measured and set it up like it should go but my question is this, they sell the power steering adapter plate that can be added to fit the power steering holes but that will push my power steering box about half an inch out to the right and the steering shaft will be off to the right about half an inch now, will this matter? if it does then I would have to notch the frame in the center of the adapter plate so that it goes in the half inch needed for the steering shaft to be straight, but the only reason I’m asking is cause I see a lot of people who use the plates but I do not see that they notch the frame at all. Please Help I want to make sure I’m doing this right so that I won’t screw it up. Thank you in advance for your response. It should end up about where the red line i drew on second pic.

Last edited by degree01; 09-12-2010 at 07:21 PM.
degree01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
TR65

Re: Power Steering box conversion expert opinion

degree,

Here is how I did mine. Works great. No frame mod required except addition of a hole. The alignment was pretty good, about the same as with the manual box. The rag joint can accomodate some misalignment.

TR

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374519

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are a few guys here that have modified or recessed their frames for the power steering box. Those are the guys that are really in tune with the handling characteristics of their vehicles and are able to detect small issues. But the majority just install the box with the adapter plate on the outside of the frame. I have had mine on my Suburban for over 120,000 miles with no issues. For the small amount of offset of the steering box, that can be compensated for with a front end alignment. Which should be done after this installation anyway.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
degree01

Ok thanks a lot for the response, I was just concerned that since the steering shaft was not straight it might brake or something.
degree01 is offline   Reply With Quote