The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Where are the Quality Parts Anymore??

My A/C blower motor has been replaced 3 times in about 4 years....

the last two were just recently... in less than a month from each other.. I guess my mistake was getting them from Autozone.. (have to be a budget minded college student)... The First one was "Siemens" brand... started squealing from dry bearings and a leaky seal (already)... had to pull it and replace it with an exchanged one from Autozone.. but now they carry 'VDO' brand... we'll see how long this one lasts...

about four years prior to those two motors, my dad had replaced it with a new 'CarQuest' brand motor (it started squaling, prompting me to replace it with the Autozone one)...

Prior to that.. it was the original one from 1984... where's the integrity in parts anymore??

It's a good thing the blower motor is easy to get to.. sheeeesh

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-13-2010 at 01:02 PM.
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Where are the Quality Parts Anymore??

Name:  avatar27929_1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  12.1 KB need i say more?
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
Attachment 632067 need i say more?
HA!!.. I was gonna mention that too, about them being made in China!! LOL

because they both had big Made In China Stickers on em!!

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-13-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I think Advance Auto Parts had Delco blower motors when I was looking for one. I ended up with the VDO from Auto Zone. I hate buying anything electrical from AZ, but O'Reilly credit card machine was down, and i didn't have enough cash on me. Oh well, at $15 they are probably all made in the same plant in China...

Slonaker
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

shoot, delco motors are crap too... My delco window regulator started not going down all the way about 3 months into it... i havent replaced it yet, dont plan to... sucker costed like 80 bucks...
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
3r!c84
Badass

yea i love getting parts from like mopar and have a made in china sticker on the back.. haha wow

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

I too have had problems with aftermarket parts, as well as AC Delco and genuine GM parts, but I would still prefer to take a chance on Delco/GM. If you can wait a week or so, oehq.com or oewarehouse.com sell genuine GM/Delco parts, as well as GMPartsdirect(Flow Chevrolet in North Carolina.) I find Delco/GM parts are about the same cost as aftermarket even with S&H. I just had a 5 month old made in USA Delco power window motor crap out with a defective connector on the end of the motor, but the other one replaced two years ago is still OK. Still, I think the motors were only like $25 a piece delivered.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I too have had problems with aftermarket parts, as well as AC Delco and genuine GM parts, but I would still prefer to take a chance on Delco/GM. If you can wait a week or so, oehq.com or oewarehouse.com sell genuine GM/Delco parts, as well as GMPartsdirect(Flow Chevrolet in North Carolina.) I find Delco/GM parts are about the same cost as aftermarket even with S&H. I just had a 5 month old made in USA Delco power window motor crap out with a defective connector on the end of the motor, but the other one replaced two years ago is still OK. Still, I think the motors were only like $25 a piece delivered.
Thanks for the info.. might have to consider that next time... so far I'm not in need of anything else.. as of yet anyway

Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

It's a pretty bleak situation.

The only decent thing made in china---------scat crankshafts?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Moostifer
a fool with no money

Quote:

doesn't matter... not enough people take pride in their work anymore... cheapest way to make something with the largest profit... wether it's in china, mexico, or here in the good old U.S. of A.

*end rant, steps off soapbox*

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
It's a pretty bleak situation.

The only decent thing made in china---------scat crankshafts?
Even NAPA peddles China made parts at old US/Canada/Mexico made prices. It is all about greed after all (profit). Never mind that jobs and business activity created by aftermarket manufacturing used to support American livelihood. No wonder there is a double digit unemployment in the USA and anemic GDP while China is growing at 8 to 10 % (and flexing muscles ). This is wrong.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
nbpro
Account Suspended

I really can't say that people don't take pride in their work anymore. But I'll be sure to tell the auto workers that lost their jobs to the foreign countries that flooded the markets with cheaper cars and parts. I'll be sure to tell the mill workers that lost their jobs. I'll be sure to tell the textile workers that lost their jobs, all due to the same thing. The market being flooded with cheaper products. I don't blame the foreign countries. I blame the supplier, like Wal-Mart. Places that buy in bulk for profit. The pride has always been in the workmanship in the United States. It's been the greed of the big corporations that's caused this problem. Started way back when Japan started importing everything, or maybe even before.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
The problem is not that its made in China, that dosent make the product bad.
its the companies that uses poor quality stuff. the 2 reasons alot of the products are made in china or any other asian country is because of cheap labor and much of the kemicals thats illeagly to use in us or any country theres no law againt those products

again as you say walmart and other "cheap" companies is to blame they started this trend making products that work on a low budget and make BIG money

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
nbpro
Account Suspended

I think the question was where are the quality parts anymore, and I said that things were being made in China I guess I should have said that have no regulations, and no it being made in China doesn't make it bad, but they're just as greedy as the US companies. Their gov't knows what's being produced, and they don't care. It's all for profit.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Buick455

I was a manufacturing Engineer for 15 years in the electronics industry here in the US. You would think that since we were using almost 100% imported parts we could build (assemble) a product in the US and be competitive using high speed assembly equipment but when you add in taxes, environmental regulations, health insurance, etc. It is just cheaper to manufacture the product in china or other lower cost countries and import the completed product. The problem that our government does not seam to recognize is that your loosing your engineering, research and development as well as a skilled work force. As a manufacturing engineer we pushed our supplier to develop new products all the time. We are loosing (lost) this entire product development resource. This is a big big problem. In my view if we purchase a product that is made in another country that company should have to meet the same standards as those in the US.
Buick455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick455 View Post
I was a manufacturing Engineer for 15 years in the electronics industry here in the US. You would think that since we were using almost 100% imported parts we could build (assemble) a product in the US and be competitive using high speed assembly equipment but when you add in taxes, environmental regulations, health insurance, etc. It is just cheaper to manufacture the product in china or other lower cost countries and import the completed product. The problem that our government does not seam to recognize is that your loosing your engineering, research and development as well as a skilled work force. As a manufacturing engineer we pushed our supplier to develop new products all the time. We are loosing (lost) this entire product development resource. This is a big big problem. In my view if we purchase a product that is made in another country that company should have to meet the same standards as those in the US.
x2
Old 09-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Wow.. this has became an interesting thread..... I agree.. Greed has ruined the integrity of man, and countries.... where does it end?? It's a shameful reality.......

Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #18
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick455 View Post
X3 - can not find suppliers, nor qualified engineering talent in US anymore. From my experience most EE engineering students coming from US universities are foreign students who go back to their home countries. Very few stay (due to visa problems) and the few that do stay will not go into hardware design or manufacturing. It is a dying field - that's what my summer interns were telling me!

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
irishman999

Maybe everyone should products made here in the homeland. Unless you need a part for your Stihl chainsaw or some Herdez salsa.

Last edited by irishman999; 09-16-2010 at 04:38 PM.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Yeah it's WalMarts fault for all this undoing, where do I get on the bandwagon
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
irishman999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Yeah it's WalMarts fault for all this undoing, where do I get on the bandwagon
Maybe Wal-mart is run by "Terminators" T-2000 is the CEO. Everyone i've ever known that works for that place say its like working for a machine.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #22
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman999 View Post
Maybe Wal-mart is run by "Terminators" T-2000 is the CEO. Everyone i've ever known that works for that place say its like working for a machine.
I can say this first hand. My nephew just quit there to go back to school. I don't think anyone said Walmart was the cause of it... I said companies like Walmart, buying in bulk from these countries, which is causing the U.S. to lose jobs in the trade fields. The small businesses can't compete anymore. And there needs to be more regulations on these countries, and companies that buy from them need to pay closer attention to quality, and not the almighty dollar. And this is all I'll say about this. I'm off my soap box now.lol

Last edited by nbpro; 09-16-2010 at 05:39 PM.