The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
aintmisbehavinn

Arrow Re: idles fine; stalls under load at 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Yes, coils can have a weak output and not totally fail.

Another thing to check is spark plug gap. Not sure what your specs recommend but on my 69 I gapped them to .045. (Personally, I've never cared for AC Delco plugs since I've had some bad experiences with them, but that's for another post.)

Even though you say that all the fuel components are good, I'd still check the fuel pump output by placing the cab fuel line in a container and measure that it pumps out at least a pint or more in 30 seconds or less.

And last, I'd take the carb apart and see if there's any debris that may have gotten in there.
MSD recommends 60 with the 6AL, they are close. I pulled a few plugs, black with raw gas, surely it's dumping to much fuel. Holley was rebuilt last week by a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasquezmrysvll View Post
whats "dead on timing?" when does full advance occur? and whats the total advance?
I started with 8; factory spec, with manifold vac, at idle, idles choppy with cam. Switched to 10 with ported vac, black plug sindrome. I think I'll go back to 8 with manifold adv, seems to start easier when hot. At least 33 total checking on driveway without real road conditions.

I'm beginning to think it is the coil but I hate to dump another 50 clams on something if it's not going to work. Black plugs must mean something with float bowl height...ignition, back to the drawing board...

Keep um coming, thanks guys....

Last edited by aintmisbehavinn; 09-19-2010 at 01:33 PM.
aintmisbehavinn is offline   Reply With Quote