The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
dag19

TCI Street Fighter

I have an opportunity to purchase a used TCI Street Fighter transmission (311000) TH350 that has about 3500 miles on it for $350. Is that a good deal?

I ask cause my tranny is nearly shot and I have been talked out of upgrading to a TH400. Do these transmissions need anything such as shift kits or do they already shift fairly hard and crisp? Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited by dag19; 09-30-2010 at 11:28 AM.
dag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Re: TCI Street Fighter

The price seems fair to me. However, let me share me experience.

I know I will get hammered for this, but here goes. First of let me say I have only dealt with 2 of the TCI 350's, so my experience is LIMITED. Both of them drove really nice and shifts were real crisp. The only problem we had is they leaked from everywhere. We replaced every possible seal, gasket, or O-ring, and they still leaked. New parts would fix it for a while, but the leak would aleays come back. Tranny shop guy told me it was probably due to higher pressures than stock. I don't know if thats true or not. In both cases we fixed the problem by installing a 400. Having said that TCI's stuff is usually great quality, so I maybe I got trannys that were built on a friday or something. Sorry for the long post. Good luck

Last edited by BluTrukker; 09-30-2010 at 10:19 AM.
BluTrukker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
dag19

Uh oh....leaks are what I am trying to get away from! I don't want any kind of leak underneath my pickup. I asked the guy about leaks and he said it doesn't have any at all. So hopefully he is correct.

I was always curious as to how they shifted. I put a stage 1 shift kit in my current Th350 and it shifts quick and clean. I will assume they don't need/have such a thing in these transmissions, correct?
dag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
71 super

I too have had two tci race type transmissions- both were manual valve bodies and transbrake. The first was a th400 that was nasty- in a good way, unfortunately do to operator error it broke across the back of the bell, and instead of searching for another trans body and swapping everything, i sold it and bought a th350, again manual valve body etc. and it was a great transmission. Never any trouble even with a 4.56 rear gear and 4,000 stall behind 500plus small block. If you want a trans that will last, these seem to be the ones- granted that was also over 10 years ago and quality may have gone down, but my experience was positive and would highly recommend.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote