The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
nikwho

Hooking up steering w/ camaro IFS

So, I am getting dangerously close to being able to start and drive the '59. My graft is done and I am mounting the rad and getting ready to break in the engine. I have to plumb the brakes and hook up steering So, I already have the bearing from classic parts to utilize my factory column. I will cut the outer part of the column and slip the bearing in and tack it, i supose. Hopefully a bit of a tack won't cook the bearing. What did you guys that retained your column and use this bearing do here? So, I have a straight shot to the camaro steering box. I just need to hook one to the other with a short shaft of of the camaro box and a u-joint connecting the factory column shaft to the new shaft coming off of the camaro box.

1-Where is a good place to buy the u-joints(nothing fancy, just functional)
2-is there a convienient kit?
3-can you guys post pics of what you did so I can get a good idea of how I want to do mine?

Thanks, Nik
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Wheelie

Re: Hooking up steering w/ camaro IFS

The bearings side is tapped with three holes. You will need to drill three holes into the column base . That is how it is retained by that into the column. DO NOT TACK. If its not I would suggest tapping it. Now for the steering stuff you can buy steering joints and some double D bar from summit or use the camaro steering shaft if you still have it. You can weld on either. I would suggest the double D bar and joints form summit. They are sleeker and and look better.

Last edited by Wheelie; 10-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
nikwho

Can you elaborate? My bearing has no tapped holes. Perhaps some pictures would help me vizualize it. So, will the 3/4" DD steering shaft slide into the female portion of my camaro steering shaft? If so, i'll run the 3/4" DD from the female portion of the camaro shaft up to where it will intersect with the factory shaft. I'm not by the truck right now but the factory steering shaft seems to be about 3/4" diameter. Is there a u-joint that will accept the 3/4" DD steering shaft on one side and accept the round steering shaft from the column on the other end? I appreciate the help. I'd like to assure that I order the right parts
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

You might try these guys as well.
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote