The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2003, 02:47 AM   #1
outlaw

Question rear coil spring replace

hey fellas, got a pretty easy question just want to make sure of procedures before starting project, I bought new rear coil sprigs for my 1970 chevy truck and was wondering if all I had to do after I took off the shocks was to use 2 floor jacks and pick up the bed until the springs fall out or is there more to it, I bought the springs but did not have time to replace them before I had to go back to work, thanks a bunch Danny
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:55 AM   #2
COBALT

Don't bother with the shocks. Just support the trailing arms so the coils aren't compressed/tensioned.

You'll need to unbolt the ear shaped brackets that hold the springs to both the frame and to the trailing arm on boths sides. I'd recomend getting a new set of ear brackets because the old ones are going to be cracked in the center. You'll also need new bolts and torque nuts.

I'd recomend hosing the bolts down with Kroil before you try to loosen them. They're a *****, and I think take 3/4" sockets. Be prepared to bust your knuckles. I had to cut my bolts out.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:42 AM   #3
'72 Shorty
I finally got an avatar

had to use the blue tip wrench on mine. Have new bolts ready, since you more than likely won't get the old ones out. Even if you do, the one that actually unscrewed was so badly rusted that i wouldn't trust it.

My procedure(since I highly reccommend not climbing under a truck with only jacks under it) is to jack the rear up and put jackstands under the frame as high as you can get it. use the floor jack to reduce the pressure on the springs and unbolt them. then lower the jack and take the old ones out. reverse for reinstall.
-69 C-10
-56 Mack B-753LS (tow rig)
-94 Chev K2500 Short Ex-Cab
-89 Isuzu Trooper...Kinda
-03 Kawasaki KFX-400
-05 Suzuki DRZ-400S
'72 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:02 AM   #4
outlaw

I went home barrowed my brothers torch cut the bolts and did not have any problems putting the new springs on it raised the rear of the truck pu about 3 inches thank yaw for all the help, Danny
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote