The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
dccarpenter

Got a [75 Blazer!

Bought a Blazer this morning!

Despite limited funds, no place to park it, disapproving girlfriend&mother I just had to do it.

It's a '75 Blazer Cheyenne package, didn't even bother checking the mileage, sure it's a odometer rollover.

Here's the breakdown

The Good: has the original hubcaps/rims, new-ish tires, a running sbc 350/turbo 350 combo (trans was supposedly rebuilt in the past few years), new doors, air conditioning, 4x4. It starts and runs, couldn't drive it as it had no brakes but the tranny shifted into all the gears and moved forward/back for Drive and Reverse. 1 new floor pan installed in front passenger side, needs 1 more on driver's side. Back seat is in and is in really nice condition. Engine ran strong at idle, kicked down nicely after warming up

The bad - hood doesn't sit down flat, needs some work, tailgate bottom and area where tailgate meets bed is rusted bad, master cylinder is likely shot(hence no brake pedal), choke is probably bad as it needed a shot of starter fluid to start, body is rough and will need paint

My cost: $500

My questions for the experts on the board, going to flat tow it home with me, it does not have locking hubs in the front you just shift the transfercase in the cab to put it in 4wd. Does this mean I have full time 4wd? Do I need to pull both driveshafts to tow it home or can I just disconnect the rear? Or am I super lucky and can leave both in? The ride home is 25 miles, will be going about 40mph. Tow vehicle is a big heavy C30 dually so it can handle it fine.

And here's the pic from the craig's list ad:
Attached Images

dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Patriot

Re: Got a [75 Blazer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarpenter View Post
Bought a Blazer this morning!

Despite limited funds, no place to park it, disapproving girlfriend&mother I just had to do it.

It's a '75 Blazer Cheyenne package, didn't even bother checking the mileage, sure it's a odometer rollover.

Here's the breakdown

The Good: has the original hubcaps/rims, new-ish tires, a running sbc 350/turbo 350 combo (trans was supposedly rebuilt in the past few years), new doors, air conditioning, 4x4. It starts and runs, couldn't drive it as it had no brakes but the tranny shifted into all the gears and moved forward/back for Drive and Reverse. 1 new floor pan installed in front passenger side, needs 1 more on driver's side. Back seat is in and is in really nice condition. Engine ran strong at idle, kicked down nicely after warming up

The bad - hood doesn't sit down flat, needs some work, tailgate bottom and area where tailgate meets bed is rusted bad, master cylinder is likely shot(hence no brake pedal), choke is probably bad as it needed a shot of starter fluid to start, body is rough and will need paint

My cost: $500

My questions for the experts on the board, going to flat tow it home with me, it does not have locking hubs in the front you just shift the transfercase in the cab to put it in 4wd. Does this mean I have full time 4wd? Do I need to pull both driveshafts to tow it home or can I just disconnect the rear? Or am I super lucky and can leave both in? The ride home is 25 miles, will be going about 40mph. Tow vehicle is a big heavy C30 dually so it can handle it fine.

And here's the pic from the craig's list ad:
I have a 77 Blazer with the 203. I just put the transfer case in neutral and away you go. No locking hubs is a sign of a 203 FULLTIME case. You should just be able to put it in Neutral like I do. Your case shifter from the dash to seat goes 4 Loc, 4 Low, Neutral, 4 High, 4 Loc. Put in Neutral and get out and see if you can move it by yourself. Mine pushes easy.

Patriot
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

damn thats a steal, i love them 73-75 blazers. would love to have a opportunity like that pop up when i had some money.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Davidmichael

sweet
81 8 foot bed made into a trailer
86 Suburban going to be made into a trailer
91 Suburban 4x4 = that's my baby
00 S10 Xtreme STD Cab
01 S10 ZR2
Davidmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
dccarpenter

Think I'm going to bring it home tomorrow, grabbing some plates from the DMV in the morning.

I'm thinking of getting a Soft-topper for it, that will save me from dealing with fixing the tailgate window and repainting the top for the time being. Trying to get this thing drivable/presentable as I may have a new job and don't want to be driving the Sanford and Son wagon up to it. Only thing I'm concerned about is if we get alot of snow again this year and how it will respond.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
ECU PIRATE

Quote:
Think I'm going to bring it home tomorrow, grabbing some plates from the DMV in the morning.

I'm thinking of getting a Soft-topper for it, that will save me from dealing with fixing the tailgate window and repainting the top for the time being. Trying to get this thing drivable/presentable as I may have a new job and don't want to be driving the Sanford and Son wagon up to it. Only thing I'm concerned about is if we get alot of snow again this year and how it will respond.
Damn...............I did not even see this one on the local Craigslist ads!!!!!!!!!! Must have come out of Maryland???? Nice pick up by the way. We don't see to many of these on the roads in this area
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
dccarpenter

Yep,

I picked it up out of PG County, Maryland. Having a hell of a time trying to line up parking for it..might have to unload it before I can even fix it up at this rate

Going to measure my Mom's garage and see if I can stash it at her place temporarily.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
ECU PIRATE

Quote:
Yep,

I picked it up out of PG County, Maryland. Having a hell of a time trying to line up parking for it..might have to unload it before I can even fix it up at this rate

Going to measure my Mom's garage and see if I can stash it at her place temporarily.
I hear you. You are probably looking @ about 14 1/2 ft. for the length. Let me know if you are having issues with stashing it. I may be able to help you out with whatever you decide to do...............

Last edited by ECU PIRATE; 10-11-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
dccarpenter

Thanks for the offer, I got a buddy to loan me his driveway for the weekend. Going to do a mad dash tune-up -athon to get it street parkable. Put up an ad on Craigslist/post in the MD forum to solicit a paid assistant to try and blast through it. Transmission and engine seem sound so I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be able to get it roadworthy. Debating getting the antique plates to avoid an inspection for a little bit, figure since I commute to work in the dually they probably won't hassle me if I'm just doing a little driving around in it.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
ECU PIRATE

No worries. Let me know if I can do anything for you
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Nice find.You got a convertible now!!! I got into a Jimmy (85) this summer myself and still have to get it legally tagged.I'm going with historic.They are slack on whatever enforcement and it's not my primary driver.It's nice to finally have a "car" again.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

saved another one great work,real rare up here got mine a month ago maybe, a 78 with a 350/203...some kinda kit makes it not full time 4x4

Last edited by motornut; 10-15-2010 at 11:34 PM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
dccarpenter

Got it to my Mom's place today, towed it about 30 miles. The towbar works great, mixture of highway and city driving, got up to about 50mph as a max, lot of stop and go too, some hills thrown in. The one ton dually sure tows it well, stopping was no problem whatsoever , was not noticeably different than braking without the blazer behind me. I would have comfortably towed it on a 6 hour voyage without hesitation, the only catch would have been any extreme hills.

Now just waiting for my girlfriend to get here so I can push it into the garage...only downfall to towbars is I can't back up with it and back it into the garage.