The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
gopokes

List for wiring modification

I am getting ready to pull off my wiring harness to send it out to get modified. I wondered if you guys could help me out with a list of what all I need to tell them when I send it in. When I spoke to them on the phone, they said "give me the tire size, gear ratio and, just let me know what all mods you are doing to the truck". That was a little vague, and I would like to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I send it out. I am going to use electric fans from a 99 Camaro, and fuel tank and pump out or a 99 Camaro as well.

Tire size
Gear ratio
Electric fans
Electric fuel pump

What else?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Super73

Re: List for wiring modification

Interesting they want to know gearing and tire size for wiring modifaction. Are they also changing the tune in the computer?

Well, are you going to be using any smog stuff? EGR and AIR..
Are you going to be using a MAF or are you going to go open loop speed density (That's how I run mine). If you stay OL SD you don't need your front O2's either.
No need for rear O2's
AC?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
gopokes

He is doing the computer too, forgot to add that. I had planned to leave the engine as stock as possible. What does speed density do? I do plan on getting an aftermarket AC unit later down the road, would that matter on the engine harness, or is that controlled through the AC wiring?

Last edited by gopokes; 10-18-2010 at 06:20 PM.
gopokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Shon

I like my SD tune, but also run Closed Loop.
SD removes the MAF from the equation, if the tune is right then there should not be any difference in driveability. Plus it frees up space.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
soule64

I used a Classic Auto Air aftermarket unit with a Sanden compressor attached to the chassis wiring harness. The engine harness was pinned out for A/C controlled by the computer, but I just capped it.
soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I like my SD tune, but also run Closed Loop.
SD removes the MAF from the equation, if the tune is right then there should not be any difference in driveability. Plus it frees up space.
So I would need to tell the programmer I wanted to run the closed loop SD correct? Also if I am leaving the engine basically stock is there a benefit to doing this, other than removing the MAF and O2 sensors? I did a little Googling on he subject and got a lot of programming information that is WAY over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule64 View Post
I used a Classic Auto Air aftermarket unit with a Sanden compressor attached to the chassis wiring harness. The engine harness was pinned out for A/C controlled by the computer, but I just capped it.
Is that compressor different than the stock one on my engine? I am hoping to be able to use my stock compressor with an aftermarket AC unit.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
mac72

tach
speedo I'm running a programmable autometer
fuel pump
high & low spd. fan I'm running 2 fans
a/c so the computer can adjust the idle when the compressors on
delete catalyst monitors "second o2's"
cruise control mine uses dbw w/ a trail blazer SS program
chk. eng. lt.
Theres a few others I'm forgetting I can chk. tommorrow if you need more info
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
gopokes

I have been thinking about trying to use a factory gauge cluster from the same Tahoe I got the engine out of. I think I might try to modify the dash somehow down the road to make it work. If I did this, would I have to just tell him to leave the wires that go to the gauges, or would those be from a completely different harness?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
74project

who are you sending it to? not sure if im going refurb or knew...
74project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74project View Post
who are you sending it to? not sure if im going refurb or knew...
Wait4me performance is who I am using. I've read good reviews plus they are the cheapest I've found so far, $360 to modify the harness and program the computer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
mrhino
Account Suspended

I used Brendan from LT1 swap. his web site was so full of information that I decide to do my own harness. it was relatively easy just took a little time and a quite place to think. Saved my self a bunch of money I could use for other things. (I think I spent about $6 dollars for a odb2 port, relays and a few terminals). Brendan also reprogrammed my PCM for $75 to all the things I was using and removed what I wasn't including, MAF. plus I sent it to him the PCM and he returned it the next day. I couldn't believe how fast he was. He also supplied me with some tech support. It is nice since of accomplishment knowing I did the harness and if I ever have problems I should be able to figure them out myself, but if not, I know Brendan will help me out.
check out his website. http://lt1swap.com/index.htm

Last edited by mrhino; 10-25-2010 at 09:08 AM.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
I used Brendan from LT1 swap. his web site was so full of information that I decide to do my own harness. it was relatively easy just took a little time and a quite place to think. Saved my self a bunch of money I could use for other things. (I think I spent about $6 dollars for a odb2 port, relays and a few terminals). Brendan also reprogrammed my PCM for $75 to all the things I was using and removed what I wasn't including, MAF. plus I sent it to him the PCM and he returned it the next day. I couldn't believe how fast he was. He also supplied me with some tech support. It is nice since of accomplishment knowing I did the harness and if I ever have problems I should be able to figure them out myself, but if not, I know Brendan will help me out.
check out his website. http://lt1swap.com/index.htm
So I just read through most of his site, and you are right, there is a ton of info. Almost enough for me to start thinking I could do this myself. Probably enough for me to mess it up really bad. He does really break it down to seem fairly simple, I've just never done much wiring, other than stereo stuff. I think I will email him and see if he can give me enough confidence to try to tackle it myself. That would definitely save me some cash.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Oilbrnr

After reading that site, I now know that I can save some $$$. Sure ain't Rocket Surgery!!! He seems a bit vague on wire removal however. I'm assuming for example if you are not using the post cat O2 sensors that one would remove the entire wire from the harness for a cleaner install rather than just snipping off the connectors.

One pleasant surprise was reading how the Cruise Control is activated. I had doubts that the ~$140 NOS stalk I bought to put in my '77 with resume/accel would work, but it is an easy-peasy hookup.

Now to find the correct TAC module and pedal assembly as I'm missing them...

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
gopokes

I got home last night and started looking a little closer at my harness. I realized pretty quickly that it is fairly different than the one he shows on his site. That made me kind of nervous, I was hoping they would be the same and I could follow step by step. I feel like this shouldn't be that hard to do, but the last thing I want to do is have to buy a whole new harness because I messed mine up.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes View Post
I got home last night and started looking a little closer at my harness. I realized pretty quickly that it is fairly different than the one he shows on his site. That made me kind of nervous, I was hoping they would be the same and I could follow step by step. I feel like this shouldn't be that hard to do, but the last thing I want to do is have to buy a whole new harness because I messed mine up.
I hear ya. but if you decide to do it. Dont cut the wires out, you can release them from the connectors and if you need to put one or two back in they will push right back in. Have you talked with Brenden maybe he has done some of those and just hasn't post the info. and if nothing else. He may offer to do yours to get the information on that priticar harness.

Last edited by mrhino; 10-26-2010 at 03:38 PM.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
I hear ya. but if you decide to do it. Dont cut the wires out, you can release them from the connectors and if you need to put one or two back in they will push right back in. Have you talked with Brenden maybe he has done some of those and just hasn't post the info. and if nothing else. He may offer to do yours to get the information on that priticar harness.
I emailed him last night to see if there was any way he would want to don one right now, no luck. He said he was covered up for a couple months, but maybe after that. I can't wait that long, so I will either pull the trigger and try it myself, or send it to Wait4me. I will probably take a few days to mull it over.