The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
NINERS1

driveshaft length. help!!!

does anyone know how to figure out how much to shorten the driveshaft for a truck lowered 7" in the rear? is there a formula to follow? it is a longbed 2 piece shaft.

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: driveshaft length. help!!!

take ruler and measure twice is the correct formula to get it right the first time
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 10-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
mrhino
Account Suspended

just had mine shortend a week or so ago. There is no Formula. Ask whoever you decide to shorten your shaft, how they measure the length (each shop has their own way) My shop had me measure from u-joint to u-joint with a slip yoke in the trans.

mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
take ruler and measure twice is the correct formula to get it right the first time
C downs, you are one ornery som bich....but I like it The last 2x4 I cut....it cut it 3 damn times, & it was still too damn short To NINERS1, there is no formula for you app talk with your local driveline shop.Understand that every truck is different. I can tell you what I know, but I need a little more input on the shaft you are running(solid in the middle, or slip yolk in the middle)? carzyAl
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
NINERS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 longhorn View Post
C downs, you are one ornery som bich....but I like it The last 2x4 I cut....it cut it 3 damn times, & it was still too damn short To NINERS1, there is no formula for you app talk with your local driveline shop.Understand that every truck is different. I can tell you what I know, but I need a little more input on the shaft you are running(solid in the middle, or slip yolk in the middle)? carzyAl
I think it's solid in the middle, thought i read there is a rule of thumb [so many " drop = x " shorter, I dont have a driveline shop here but there is a machine shop that can shorten it, but the first ? they will ask is how much!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
raycow

If you are doing any kind of mod that affects the driveshaft length, the rule is "always do the driveshaft last". In other words, get everything bolted up where it is suposed to be, and the ride height where you will be running it. Then measure for the driveshaft length you need, center to center on the U-joints with a yoke in the transmission. Don't fight the tide on this - it is the only surefire method that is known to always work.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 10-29-2010 at 09:40 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
If you are doing any kind of mod that affects the driveshaft length, the rule is "always do the driveshaft last". In other words, get everything bolted up where it is suposed to be, and the ride height where you will be running it. Then measure for the driveshaft length you need, center to center on the U-joints with a yoke in the transmission. Don't fight the tide on this - it is the only surefire method that is known to always work.

Ray
sme as above but with yoke not fully in tranny, put it all the way in and then back it out an inch. then center to center of u joint..
when you go to the place making it, tell them how you did it. better yet ask them how they want you to do it..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

What ever you do don't make a very easy mistake and measure with the weight off the rear end if it's jacked in the air. She will wind up way long. Must be on the ground and bounce on the truck to make sure the suspension is settled. Also, make sure to have the proper yolk space when measuring to account for suspension travel.

Last edited by prostreetC-10; 10-30-2010 at 11:33 AM.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
NINERS1

Thanks for the help guys!!! I will do that, after i drop it 2 more inches [for a total of 7] i hope i can get the driveline in to measure!