The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
jasonroman

Re: air compressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob67 View Post
I don't think the 1/4 is the problem. On my 50' of hose I have to set my output at 95 to get 90 at the end, and I also am running a water seperator and inline oiler.
Posted via Mobile Device
got a pic of your set up?
i was looking for an inline oiler....does this mean, i dont need to oil daily??
sorry for stupid questions...
but im new to this.
trying to teach myself as i go and read kinda thing....
mine runs to like, 140ish and i have reg set to 90???
im new to this, so i wouldnt know how to know if i have enuff or too little pressure.
just seems the compressor runs more than it should.

not to mention, after getting the thing hooked up, i ran it for a little while as directions said, and after 1/2 hour...oil turned from nice, new clean oil to BLACK????
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #27
rob67

If you have it set at 90 at the regulator, you probably only have 80 at the end. Also check everywhere there is a connection for leaks. Mine was leaking bad until I did that. Now it holds for weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #28
rob67

To test the pressure, hook up the gun and pull the trigger while you look at the output pressure gauge. Then adjust it until you see the correct pressure on the gauge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
rob67

I barely crack the oiler open. I do put 1 or 2 drops of oil in the tool just to counteract any water that might be in the line. I can't get my phone pics to load here, but it is just a HF setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #30
rob67

By the way, my compressor is a Craftsmen 33 gal with 150 psi max. I found most of my leak was coming from the quick connect on the regulator, so I put a 2 way manifold on it for blow gun and tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #31
kaycee

Was looking at our local classified today and a guy has a DevilBiss AirAmerica 6.5 HP 60gal tank for $200.That is all the info on it,I left a message so maybe he will call back.Any one know anything about this compressor or should I pass?
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #32
jasonroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob67 View Post
By the way, my compressor is a Craftsmen 33 gal with 150 psi max. I found most of my leak was coming from the quick connect on the regulator, so I put a 2 way manifold on it for blow gun and tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks for the reply and info bud. appreciate the help. later i will try and run the gun while watching the guage to see where im at. hopefully il find a fix. pretty sure i am leak free. i teflon taped and doped all connections.

my buddy was trying to tell me that i need 1/2in piping and lines to make tools be able to work...but i dont think hes right.

i think an inline oiler thing is a good idea, just gotta look for one of them now.

noticed also, that when im done running the da sander or grinder, and put and air chuck on to clean area up. seems like i have water in line????
why would this be??
i empty tank after every use....compressors a month old with like 4-6 uses
when i have time and theres no rain, i get out there for a couple hours.

think i need better tools... the grinder and sander i got at home depot seem to work ok. just spit oil all over the truck
all tools do this or just the cheaper ones.

reason i got tools at home depot, was credit. just figured id put it on card and go.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #33
cableguy0

compressors make water because of the heating and cooling of the air as it compressed. Its normal. The best thing to do is put an inline water seperator and drain it regularly. The da sander will make the compressor run A LOT and the more it runs the more water it will make. Get it taken care of or you will be buying new tools. They dont like water running through them. Try putting less oil in them and after you oil them run them for a while to push out the excess oil before you start working. Most of the oil wont stay in the tool. Harbor freight has some decent cheap air tools. I use there 3 inch cut off wheel everyday at work. Its like 9 bucks. Just make sure you buy quality cut off disks not the ones harbor freight sells. The DA just requires a ton of air. Your best bet is to run it for a bit then find something else to do. Let the compressor shut off and cool off for a while then go at it again. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...npt-45009.html that setup works pretty good. I wouldnt worry so much about an inline oiler. I have never used one and to be honest barely ever oil any of my tools. They are used and abused daily and have all lasted a long time. My dad rarely ever oiled his stuff and has air tools almost as old as I am that were used everyday
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #34
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
got a pic of your set up?
i was looking for an inline oiler....does this mean, i dont need to oil daily??
sorry for stupid questions...
but im new to this.
trying to teach myself as i go and read kinda thing....
mine runs to like, 140ish and i have reg set to 90???
im new to this, so i wouldnt know how to know if i have enuff or too little pressure.
just seems the compressor runs more than it should.

not to mention, after getting the thing hooked up, i ran it for a little while as directions said, and after 1/2 hour...oil turned from nice, new clean oil to BLACK????
inline oiler, if you ever want to paint, don't use
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #35
jasonroman

thanks for reply kid, as always....
as for set up in link. i have a similar set up...but again, home depot husky parts to match my compressor.
but my stuff is all 1/4 inch stuff. maybe too small?
guy told me it would be fine....but maybe im too small coming out??
i was gonna take a pic of it, but dont wanna be laughed at.
i know da takes up alot of the air. so i been doing a little and braking a little.
little by little you know. right now, im playing body man.
but cable guy, when i get ready to play mechanic, il buy all the beer you want and send you a ticket for train or something and you can come and guide/show me how to do it right.
grills off, beds off, was telling my kid id like to pull motor...clean and paint,
and if i find the tree with the money falling off...then id get the carb, intake mani, cam and get to it.....
Old 11-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #36
jasonroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
well i do plan on getting a gun at some point to spray primer on truck
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #37
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If you must auto-oil, put the oiler at the end of the line just be fore the hose, that will keep the oils out of the system. For painting, use a new clean hose not the oily one.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #38
cableguy0

1/4 inch is definately too small coming off the tank. I would run at least 1/2 copper off the tank then go into your standard 3/8's air hose.Theres no way the tools are getting enough air with a 1/4 inch line. It makes a huge difference. The pressure will still be there but the volume wont. Da sanders need all the volume they can get. Impact guns are the same way. I wouldnt worry about matching brands on anything. Just look for the best deals on stuff. Try to drain the tank each time you use it as well.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #39
jasonroman

guess ill be changing everything over soon then.
thought id be ok with 1/4 in piping
guess its good for smaller tanks.