The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
rktolds

Early 50's Flat bed truck

Is the cab on a flatbed delivery truck the same as the 3100 series for an early '50's Chevy? A buddy's Dad has an old Goodyear tire co. delivery truck. If it'll work on an S10 chassis I may go get it.

Thanks for the help. I check this site out all the time. Hope to have my own truck project after I get some work done on my two Cutlass'.

Matt
rktolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
whid

Re: Early 50's Flat bed truck

the cabs and doors are all the same....when you start getting into the bigger trucks the front sheet metal is different......whid
whid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
mr48chev

As whid said the cabs and doors are the same. The front fenders on the bigger trucks have a lot bigger wheel opening and you will have to swap them out. The hoods are the same up through 1-1/2 ton at least.

If I had room to store it I'd hang onto the original chassis and engine until I got the truck registered correctly as you will most likely have to have the truck inspected. Otherwise photo document the daylights out of the build with a step by step build book.
It's a lot easier to walk it through inspection if you can show your build book detailing exactly what you did and where everything came from including photos of all doner rigs plus the bills of sale and original titles if you have them.
If the big truck has a clear title, transfer the title into your name before you start taking the truck apart. You should be able to go with reduced tonnage to cut the price a bit but then you will have a clear title in your name to work with. Then if you need to have it inspected when you have it finished things should go a lot smoother.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
rktolds

Thanks guys. If I do the deal I'd probably trailer it right to my tag office.

Matt
rktolds is offline   Reply With Quote