The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
kikkegek

what are these things under my hood?

yesterday I made some pics of the engine under my hood.

I am still a complete noob for chevy engines, So some help would be very welcome.

(knowledge is power, isnt it?)

This is the number of my carb. a Rochester Quadrajet.
How do I find out what type of carb it is?
and has anybody the manual of it for me?

What is this thing with the hoses on it? Can I remove it without problems?
I do have to say that all the "environmmental stuf californian stuf" has been removed as much as possible.

I believe this is the fuel pump. It is very greasy?
- can this hurt?
- how do I clean it easily?

1. what is this thing in the circle? there is no hose, is that OK? Can I remove it and plug the hole it leaves with something?
2. there is oil nat the end of my arrow! is that dangeorus? no idea where it is coming from? you? is there a danger of fire with soo much grease on the engine?
3. the thing in the square is the thing I asked about in the first picture. This is just a different angle.

In my picasa webalbum you can see all the pics in HQ.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jochenz/...6K20Silverado#
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: what are these things under my hood?

The thing in the square is a vacuum switch. It was intended to have a constant vacuum line connected to one port and the other lines went to various mechanisms. They were blocked from getting the vacuum until the engine warmed-up.
Since alll of that is disconnected/removed, you can indeed remove it and plug the hole.

The oil laying in the intake valley is fairly common. It could be from a leaking valve cover gasket, but it's more likely from the intake bolts themselves. Oil seeps around the threads if they are not sealed when installed.

The circle is the EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculator). It is an emissions tool that returns exhaust to the intake tract to allow it to be "re-burned", thus reducing un-burned hydrocarbons in the exhaust at the tail pipe. It was probably one of the things connected to the vacuum switch in the square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The thing in the square is a vacuum switch. It was intended to have a constant vacuum line connected to one port and the other lines went to various mechanisms. They were blocked from getting the vacuum until the engine warmed-up.
Since alll of that is disconnected/removed, you can indeed remove it and plug the hole.

The oil laying in the intake valley is fairly common. It could be from a leaking valve cover gasket, but it's more likely from the intake bolts themselves. Oil seeps around the threads if they are not sealed when installed.

The circle is the EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculator). It is an emissions tool that returns exhaust to the intake tract to allow it to be "re-burned", thus reducing un-burned hydrocarbons in the exhaust at the tail pipe. It was probably one of the things connected to the vacuum switch in the square.

he thanks for the quick reply man!
so I can probably also remove the EGR valve too? Noo need for it then anymore.

How about my question on the fuel pump:
- can this hurt?
- how do I clean it easily?

can you help me with that? please?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
xrcr

Fuel pump needs to be clean and functional on the inside, the outside is not as critical except you cannot see if there is any leakage or possibly other issues. Get some engine degreaser or kerosene and soak everything that is a mess on this engine for a couple days, Powerwash, then repeat. You are going to make one heck of a mess so be prepared. Also don't spray excessive water around altenator, air cleaner, dist. This stuff can get wet just don't bore down on them. Or at least that's what I'd do......
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
benoit454
Chris

you can remove the egr but you need a block off plate, as for fuel pump you can scrape it clean with a screwdriver, wire brush, scrub brush degreaser whatever.

The first pic is the same way it can be removed but you need a pipe plug to go in it's place or buy another thermostat housing from like a 74 camaro or something that has no holes in it and is stock.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

As suggested, you can remove and/or block off the items. My concern is do you have state inspection, and what does it cover. You may need the EGR hooked up to pass inspection.

As far as cleaning goes, I really like good old Gunk brand "Engine Brite" I prefer to take it to the coin car wash and soak the engine with the degreaser. I hit thew engine and suspension as well.

Let it soak in a bit, but don't let it dry, then blast it with hot water and soap. You can use a plastic bag and aluminum foil to wrap the alternator and distributor first. You will love the results, and it makes working on your motor so much nicer.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
As suggested, you can remove and/or block off the items. My concern is do you have state inspection, and what does it cover. You may need the EGR hooked up to pass inspection.

As far as cleaning goes, I really like good old Gunk brand "Engine Brite" I prefer to take it to the coin car wash and soak the engine with the degreaser. I hit thew engine and suspension as well.

Let it soak in a bit, but don't let it dry, then blast it with hot water and soap. You can use a plastic bag and aluminum foil to wrap the alternator and distributor first. You will love the results, and it makes working on your motor so much nicer.
owkee, no worries, the really tough regulations are for new cars int he Netherlands. If the car is older than 1973 then there are no demands for CO. If the car is newer then 1973 but older then 1992, then the car has to have a CO of max. 1,5%....I believe...they are not too hard on oldtimers in the Netherlands...which is great!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post

what I forgot to ask, is "can it hurt to let this vacuum switch sit like this?" or should I cover all connections? I dont know exactly how it works!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
kikkegek

already found the answer myself. searched at Summitracing for a vacuum switch and found these:

Standard motor ported vacuum switch. Looks almost the same.

it opens the connection inside the switch to let a continuous vacuum through to the three other ports like already said by LONGHAIR.

since this switch does not result in a vacuum leak, there is no danger for now in leaving it sit there for now, although it looks strange!

thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Oilbrnr

You can leave it there as is. If you remove it, you'll need a pipe plug to put back in its' place to prevent you engine coolant from coming out.

After you get the engine clean, you should be able to more easily identify where the oil leak/seepage is, but given the way the passenger side block looks where your fuel pump is, I'd put money on the valve cover gaskets. Not a difficult or expensive fix, esp. once semi-clean.

You could always just yank out that old 5.7l and put a new(er) LSx motor in there and say good-bye to leaks!

I find it interesting that the Netherlands are generally more liberal on rules when it comes to 'classic' autos. Though, if I recall correctly, there is a fairly tough safety inspection right?

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf

Last edited by Oilbrnr; 11-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
SS Delux

This is the info you need to decode your carb

http://www.4wheelnoffroad.com/qjetid.html

Is your truck a stick shift ?
SS Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

No requirement to hook up emissions equipment in your country?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Oilbrnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Its almost like living in AZ outside of Maricopa or Pima counties!

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Pro Performance

Yep, can't beat AZ smog laws. Thats where my 84 is getting registered.

As for the original poster, just soak with degreaser and hose. N2TRUX suggestion is good, with going to the coin wash. The extra pressure will help remove more than a standard hose pressure.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Not in our country either. No inspection (safety or smog) in Indiana. Zero, Zilch....
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
70BLAZERX2

east tn..no inspection...no emmissons...nothing...you dont even need bumpers or hoods around here..There is some junk around that should not be on the road in any state...LOL

we have it made for at least a few more years..before they catch up with the rest of the country

I just need to ask...what in the world is that air cleaner you have on there...LOL

Last edited by 70BLAZERX2; 11-18-2010 at 08:15 PM.
70BLAZERX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BLAZERX2 View Post
east tn..no inspection...no emmissons...nothing...you dont even need bumpers or hoods around here..There is some junk around that should not be on the road in any state...LOL

we have it made for at least a few more years..before they catch up with the rest of the country

I just need to ask...what in the world is that air cleaner you have on there...LOL
West TN is the same way as long as you live outside Memphis. Long live the no emissions testing!
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

When you take off the EGR and put on a block off plate. I would suggest you use a gasket for it too. I tried it without one when I did it and had a leak and motor was running bad. put on a gasket, and motor was better. for a buck, cheep insurance to me.. JM2C

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #19
RED-85-Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BLAZERX2 View Post

Looks like some type of natural gas induction thing...
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #20
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 View Post
Looks like some type of natural gas induction thing...

hahahaha, that is indeed an air filter house. And inside in the middle is the mixer of the LPG system. I have changed it now to a closed filter house with a connection to the front of the car, to get cooler air!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #21
BigBlocksRule

I'd try a pressure washer first before soaking it down in a cleaner. As long as the oil isn't baked on, it'll come off easily. Keep in mind that the electrical connections on old engines aren't weathertight, you might wet some down and have problems until they're dried. Most common is to get moisture under the dizzy cap, keep that in mind.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

use hot water,
i did pressure washing driving the big trucks with water in the back,
we would use a boiler system to heat it doing the 18 wheel tankers for maintenance.
My snow suit became water proof with the oil it absorbed.
When/if the the boiler quit so would i useless on the grease cold
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
BigBlocksRule

^ no doubt, we have one auto detailer in the area that has a heater in his rig, it makes an amazing difference.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
kikkegek

I either need to clean my ride on the open streeth (forbidden I think here in the Netherlands) or in a washing booth at the gas-station and I dont know if this is allowed inn those cabines?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #25
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i'd be in trouble here too on the street,round here the booths are equipped with a trough to accept waste and a grease pit to remove it.
can you find a company with the mobile trucks? sometimes they have a customer bay at the shop,warmer ,closed doors,sometimes not timed/rushed
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote