The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
theironman

Repair or replace?

I have been wanting to purchase an old chevy to drive and eventually throw money at and found a 70 c10 for cheap that is in decent shape. Biggest problem is that it has been hit in the passenger door, caving it in. Pictures below, I am wondering if the damage could be repaired at all to the point of slapping a new door on the cab or would a cab replacement be the way to go. Don't have much money to put into the truck now. The cab is in good shape and I hate the idea of pulling it off for a crappier great plains rust bucket. It is hard to find a decent part truck or cab near me that is in my pay grade or hasn't went head first in mother nature's rust treatment.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks for any feedback.
Attached Images

theironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Dano69c10

Re: Repair or replace?

Make sure you have that frame checked. If it is not too bent, you can have it straightened.
I dont know about the cab though. I think it looks totaled from the pics, depends how high the damage is. If you get a replacement cab maybe you can use the good panels/parts from this cab to fix up the replacement. The after-market also makes enough replacement panels to pretty much restore cabs, but this one might be too far gone.

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!

Last edited by Dano69c10; 11-28-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I can't imagine fixing that cab.I would replace it.I had a rustfree cab with way less damage to that area and the only way anyone would fix it was cut the a-pillars and back of floor to replace from donor.That corner is a tight roll of steel and it's double wall.Probably the toughest part of the body.Actually,my very first truck was a '72 and in '74 I got t-boned.That was the end of that truck.My frame was bent,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
cerjio

I have a cab id sell you pretty cheap but I live about 4 hrs south of you its a 70 parts cab basicaly all there . but its goin to be just the cab no doors no glass an no front window ! I dont have a title for it an its a Oklahoma truck.
cerjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
theironman

Thanks for the replies. I figured that the cab was totaled, just wanted to get another perspective. If I buy the truck it will probably just sit through the winter. We have an old GMC cab that my uncle used when he rolled his 71 but it isn't something you can start a project on. Probably just keep my eyes open for a part truck or a decent cab. Might just hold onto this truck as a part truck if I buy it. Again thanks for the advice.
theironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
71swb4x4

I agree with the others, the cab is totalled. It will cost a lot more to repair that one than to replace.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
cdowns

i'd have the frame checked and measured out real real good// just changing out cab you might find that thing turns alot better to the right than the left
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
stich626
Account Suspended

with a stud welder that cab is an easy fix just takes time..
once you look at the damage and figure out the way it was damaged , you can pull in the oposite ,,
yes it's totalled because no one takes the time to fix that,, they'll all find another cab..
because at this point you still can..
because of that fact, it be easier to get another cab if not truck..
that frame might be tweaked..
for a good old school body man that knows how to straight'n panels , thats a peice of cake, just takes alot of hours to fix..
and if your paying for the work, it's not worth it..
if your not a body guy and can't tell if the frame needs a pull. i'd find another truck
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote