The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Rede

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

I'm just stumbling onto this build now so I appologize if its mentioned in another thread, but...

What are you doing for a ps pump and lines to the steering box?

I have a gen6 454 in my engine bay which has the hydraboost pump, but I'm stumped at how to plumb it to my steering box. (my truck is an 82 K20)
I might just end up going to a 1/2 ton vortec ps pump instead just to keep it simple as I don't have anything else from the hydraboost setup.

Sorry for the hijack.
Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rede View Post
I'm just stumbling onto this build now so I appologize if its mentioned in another thread, but...

What are you doing for a ps pump and lines to the steering box?

I have a gen6 454 in my engine bay which has the hydraboost pump, but I'm stumped at how to plumb it to my steering box. (my truck is an 82 K20)
I might just end up going to a 1/2 ton vortec ps pump instead just to keep it simple as I don't have anything else from the hydraboost setup.

Sorry for the hijack.
I am using a late model medium duty truck P/S pump and lines. Although the lines will need to be modified to fit the old Saginaw steering gear. Pictures of the pump are on the first page of this thread.

From what I can tell your hydroboost pump just has two return ports. Plug one off and you should be fine.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
duallyjams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
I am using a late model medium duty truck P/S pump and lines. Although the lines will need to be modified to fit the old Saginaw steering gear. Pictures of the pump are on the first page of this thread.

From what I can tell your hydroboost pump just has two return ports. Plug one off and you should be fine.
GM 1ton step vans have hydro boost and use a factory t in the return line to the pump verse having 2 returns ports on the pump. FIY

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
GM 1ton step vans have hydro boost and use a factory t in the return line to the pump verse having 2 returns ports on the pump. FIY
Yep…. in fact, that is what I am using is the modern P-chassis, which is now a Navistar product called Workhorse. That is the company I work for.

I could have kept the original P/S pump that is on the 8.1L now but I wanted the ZF pump for its durability, especially once I get a hydraulic winch. Since this truck is in pieces anyway, now was as good as time as any to throw it on.

Here is an engineering layout of our lines for a 2010 Workhorse 14,500 GVWR stepvan chassis with a L96 Vortec 6.0L and ZF P/S Pump and ZF P/S gear. The ZF pump only has a pressure and return port with a T in the return side. I am planning to use this exact P/S cooler and as much as these lines that I can but using a P/S reservoir from a larger vehicle for added capacity....If I can make it fit. These lines will need to be modified where they screw into the original K10 Saginaw steering gear. One of these lines may come up short as the engine sits closer to the firewall in a stepvan chassis than on a pickup.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote