The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
muthstryker

Want to learn to weld/buy a welder - Need Help

Hey guys,

Ive been wanting to learn to weld for a long time now and even more so since I learned that it could be almost 2k just for the stuff I want welded/done. Obviously Im not going to go out and buy a welder and start welding on my truck and hope it turns out. I want to spend alot of hours practicing on welding before I feel comfortable enough to weld on my truck and that my welds look nice. (Im a perfectionist)

Anyways, Ive been looking at welders and im confused on what I need/Have to have. I dont plan on doing any custom frame building or welding on the frame mostly sheet metal type stuff. Ive seen gasless welders, welders that use gas etc etc. Was trying to read up on welding and it says that work sheetmetal type work (like car panels and what not) that a gas welder is better because its cool and wont burn through that panel like a gasless welder would?

Anyways just looking for some setups that arn't going to cost me 2-3k when all said and done. And maybe some tips for welding, want to buy soon (december 15th). And get to practice right away.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
camjck89

Re: Want to learn to weld/buy a welder - Need Help

im a welder at a fabrication shop here in nc. i took classes at the community college locally and took that as far as getting a 2 yr degree for it. i can say that most definitely you want a welding machine that uses a shielding gas and actually since sheet metals quite thin you don't NEED a machine with high output, that doesn't mean later on you wont want it. the college i went to offered a basic welding course that is awesome for just being able to do what is necessary for sheet metal welding. any questions just let me know hope this is a good start

89 toyota 3" drop 22r 4spd 2wd
camjck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
camjck89

i dont know if Everett offers anything like that i think remember hearing about them when i lived in wa.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
muthstryker

There are a few places here that have courses, thing is I dont know if I would have time to do so, really my only free time is sat-sun.

What do you mean shielding gas? Is that basically what they mean when they say Gas welder? Also would MIG be alright with basic home stuff?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
camjck89

the shielding gas is what they mean, mig is good for pretty much any mild steel thicknesses. what kind of home repairs are we talking? ....working on your truck. or making a hand rail for the steps? if yes the its good for both. Time is a tricky situation, there were classes all day for welding here afternoon classes, classes that started at 8 am and classes that started at 8pm. if you really dont have the time if you know anyone with a welder ask them to let you try it. for basic "welding" you can use trial and error and see what happens when you change voltage or how much wire is used. sorry if this sounds like jibberish.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
muthstryker

Thanks, ya mainly just home stuff. Not looking to build custom frames or anything. There is some stuff I want to do with the truck that needs welded but its mostly sheet metal. I know a guy that owns a welding shop and have an uncle that knows how to weld but I dont think he has a welder. I figured I could find a nice one on craigslist for relatively cheap. Ive seen quite a few welder sets ups with a tank for about 300-600. Miller and Lincoln welders.

What exactly does the shielding gas do?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
camjck89

simply: it keeps the weld pretty and uniform. technically: the air you and i breathe has nitrogen helium hydrogen ect. in it that contaminates metal when its heated. the argon/co2 mix gas( because it's an inert gas) used in welding displaces the air around the weld and keeps the welds from being contaminated and keeps them pretty. the use of no gas, though it penetrated the metal well, therefore making the weld be porous like a sponge.

heres what it looks like
Name:  mig weld porosity.jpg
Views: 4394
Size:  10.9 KB

and heres just a eye candy tig root pass
Name:  tig root pass.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

for sheetmetal work a 110 volt unit works pretty well, I have a lincoln 135 that I bought about 9 years ago and it has served me well doing sheetmetal work and light duty welding. I see these welders on craigslist new for around $300 and I think you can still get a new one around $475. Just make sure the one you get has a gas conversion kit or you'll have to buy it seperate and there a little pricey that way. You'll probaly want a welding cart they cost around $80 new and a small bottle of argon / co2 cost about $180 to buy a new bottle around here(then its about
$45 to refil when empty), so you can get an all new setup like this for about $700- $800 or less if you find some CL deals.
As far as learning to use it, if you can't take a class or don't have someone who can teach you, you can learn by welding on scrap and doing research on the net or reading books. On sheetmetal you just make small tack welds so I set the heat high to get it to penetrate.
A lot of guys like miller or hobart welders so you can look at those too, the northern tool brand welders look just like the lincoln welders, not sure if they make them for northern or not.
The disadvantage IMO to the small entry level welders is the voltage is not fine tuneable as it has click settings, this is why I want to upgrade to a bigger and better unit like a miller 211 or such later. good luck
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
muthstryker

Thanks for the input guys..

I was looking at this welder

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCEQ8wIwAA#
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
camjck89

looks like a good start for ya ive never used the small inverter/ compact style breifcase type welders but they use smaller rolls of wire, not that this makes much of a difference other than having to buy more wire often. its good that its able to use flux. id buy it, well itd be another color but thats all in personal preference.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
silvereagle07

I have seen great prices on used welders on craigslist. I purchased a Lincoln sp-125 plus last year from a local golf club company. It's great on sheetmetal repairs and small brackets. I got it for $150 and then the gas bottle for about $125. Been having fun ever since.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Gobbles

Just a heads up, you can always dumb down a powerful welder but you can't dial up a weaker one. I was going to buy a similar one but made a clutch decision to purchase a 220V system instead and I don't regret it as I find myself welding 3/16th plate regularly. I couldn't do that with a 110V welder. That does depend on what you want it for, but a little extra power never hurts and a good welder will last a lifetime.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
stevieB

When I first learned to weld I used a 90 Harbor frieght wire feed. Awesome little thing I still use it. Now I have a 180 amp lincoln with shielding gas. Since you do not have time for classes, you should definetly pick up a couple books and do tons of reading online and videos. Thats what I did, because teaching yourself is very difficult. read and read and read. the books also teaches you other processes, the lingo, what sheilding gasses do and testing your welds. practice, practice, practice.
stevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
rblcori7

ok im sorry to jump in on this thread and im sure you guys get tired of hearing this same question but im going to ask you anyways lol.... im a complete noob at welding and i am wanting to learn how to... i dont want to do any huge projects or anything like that just some smaller odd ball randome things... what would be the best all around welder for me on a mild budget and it will be in my garage that i only have 110 in and have no way of getting 210 any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

2011 Silverado LTZ
rblcori7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Gobbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblcori7 View Post
what would be the best all around welder for me on a mild budget and it will be in my garage that i only have 110 in and have no way of getting 210 any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
I am in no way a welding expert, but as far as low end welders go if you get a good name brand you will be fine, ie) Miller, Lincoln Hobart. Also, if it is within the price range, opt to purchase a machine with "infinite" power tuning ( also known as "Manual Mode"), over a machine with 5 power options or similar. This will allow for much easier use and versatility. Also, it has been said time and time again in these welding threads, plan to use gas! Using gas will produce nicer, cleaner welds whereas the gasless is messy and a nuisance to clean!

Edit: Just read that I refer to these as "low end", I mean this as a low voltage welder, 110V!

"You already said spite"

Last edited by Gobbles; 12-10-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
stevieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbles View Post
I am in no way a welding expert, but as far as low end welders go if you get a good name brand you will be fine, ie) Miller, Lincoln Hobart. Also, if it is within the price range, opt to purchase a machine with "infinite" power tuning ( also known as "Manual Mode"), over a machine with 5 power options or similar. This will allow for much easier use and versatility. Also, it has been said time and time again in these welding threads, plan to use gas! Using gas will produce nicer, cleaner welds whereas the gasless is messy and a nuisance to clean!

Edit: Just read that I refer to these as "low end", I mean this as a low voltage welder, 110V!
This is true because when you go from a low quality welder to a name brand its like night and day, Biggest thing you want to look for when choosing a welder is duty cycle per amperage this is where 110 welders struggle. if I were to choose a 110 it would be a millermatic 140 with autoset. If it were a Lincoln it would be the Lincoln SP-140C not the 140T the "C" means continuos voltage setting. The most Budget freindly "Quality" 110 is the Hobart 140. It is the sister brand of Miller and you can use the miller spool gun with it. Also get a auto darkening helmet oh man by far my favorite thing.
stevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Gobbles

ditto on the makes and models ^^

"You already said spite"
Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
rblcori7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieB View Post
This is true because when you go from a low quality welder to a name brand its like night and day, Biggest thing you want to look for when choosing a welder is duty cycle per amperage this is where 110 welders struggle. if I were to choose a 110 it would be a millermatic 140 with autoset. If it were a Lincoln it would be the Lincoln SP-140C not the 140T the "C" means continuos voltage setting. The most Budget freindly "Quality" 110 is the Hobart 140. It is the sister brand of Miller and you can use the miller spool gun with it. Also get a auto darkening helmet oh man by far my favorite thing.

thanks a lot man ill do some research on prices right now

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 12-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
rblcori7

So what does every one think about this set up here
http://www.weldfabulous.com/Miller-9...-p4543670.html

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

^^ that's a nice welder, if you look on the site they also have a millermatic 180 for $100 more or the 211 for $200 more, both of those are 230 volt but the 211 will run on either 115 or 230 volts it uses a plug to go from one to the other.

I plan on upgrading to the 211 as it gives you a more versatile setup.
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote