The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Jarhead011

Choosing a Welder Help?

ok, so im gettin ready to purchase a Welder soon. I found a Hobart 210 with the gas tank for 800$. Ive also been lookin at the hobart 140. so, i call up to tractor supply to get some quotes on a gas tank and they range from 250 to 350$. I tell the guy that im gonna be weldin on the frame and body of and old truck and he says i just need a Flux core welder with no gas. is this True? From what ive read the welds arent as strong with the flux core and they are more "dirty". also the hobart 210 will weld 3/8 metal and the flux core will only weld 3/16 metal. Which is the best way to go? i realize that the 210 is the best welder but the flux core would save me alot of money that could be used toward my project. and advice would be much appreciated!! i just dont know alot about the FluxCore thanks.
Jarhead011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Choosing a Welder Help?

I think what the rep at TSC may have been referring to is that you can achieve a bit more penetration with the flux core, but as you mentioned the flux core welding process is a little more difficult to control and messy. The machine you are looking to buy, in MIG, you just may have to make more than one pass with the .035 wire to achieve the strength you want/need when welding on the frame. (some of the thicker material specs are based on flux core configuration).

Regarding the cylinder, I would check with your local welding or industrial gas suppliers to lease a cylinder. This may be more economical for you and your project if you just need something short term. I was leasing large cylinders for around $15 a month.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
swamp rat

I wouldn't mess with flux core, $250-350 is crazy unless the prices have gone off the charts. Find a local welding supply store and get a bottle from them, its usually based on a deposit plus the cost of the gass,then you exchange cylendars when empty and only pay for the gass.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Jarhead011

Yea i found a miller 130 xp with a tank for 400$ i think thats a good deal if the tank isnt a rental and if the welder works. guy said he's used it 5 times since he bought it and needs the money, so im goin to check it out thursday.... does that sound like a good deal? im just gonna be doin body work with it, cab corners, floor pans, shaving side markers ect. ect. it seems like it will do the job.
Jarhead011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Stew64

I got my Miller 175 with cart and Argon bottle from Praxair for $700. I use solid core and it works great. I am not a welder but I can use this. It will weld sheet metal or frames.
If you are uneducated like I am about welding products be careful. Some dealers will try to sell you the stuff they are having trouble getting rid of. I learned this when I bought my torch set.
Stew64 is offline   Reply With Quote