The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
62ShortStep

1961 hood without pods?

On a Google Images search I found several trucks identified as '1961'; the grills use 4 lights, but the hoods did not have the two large front pods. Some trucks look like the hoods have the right patina to match the rest of the truck.

Was this a production phase-in of the newer hood, or have the hoods or grills been swapped?
62ShortStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: 1961 hood without pods?

I have read a few posts where the original owner stated a 1961 model truck was delivered with a 1962 hood since new, but most of the time the original was simply replaced with the later version. This could have happened at the factory, or because of damage at the dealer level. Also many owners preferred the newer design and changed the hood to update the style.

I’ve also read the later hood was introduced partially to improve forward vision, being lower in the front. And once initial production stopped the early hoods were no longer available from dealer inventory, having been superseded by the newer design so collision repairs would also receive the 62-66 hood.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
62ShortStep

Does someone have a '61 (verified by VIN), and a "non-pod" hood that they know for sure came with the truck?
62ShortStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
slepysal

Not everyone likes the "snorkle nose" hoods or "pods" as you call them , for what its worth I totaly like them,
Since they are easy to swap out it was not uncommon to see a "newer" hood on an older model.
Keep in mind that a 60-61 truck that has a 62-66 hood can have "the right patina to match the rest of the truck'' becuse of many reasons, there is only one year seperating the styles,it could have been painted when the hood was swaped, or the hood matched the trucks color.
A 61 is still a 61 regardless of what hood it has. I used to have a 53 station wagon and couldnt stand the tail lights so I swaped in some 54 ones, confused a few people.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote