The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Differentials 101, part 1: ends

i noticed that a certain company is offering ford 9" with olds housing ends.

What is the reason for this? We might as well go in-depth regarding ends.

Actually, why don't you just tell me everything you can about differentials?

There's no such thing as too much information here.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
68 C-10 KID
Mean Green

Re: Differentials 101, part 1: ends

I would almost venture its a pride thing that comes along with being a Old's owner, Kinda like the Pontiac guys.
Or it could be they want the strength and part options that comes with it. Along with running there original bolt pattern and wheel.

My self I'm currently building a Dana 60 for my 71 Nova.
I cut the ends off and going Ford 9" ends and Moser spool and axle package with Wilwood disc breaks.
I went Dana 60 because of the strength and the 9" disc brake options they make to build it.
AKA MEAN GREEN.
68 C-10 KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Well, the company is S+W; They are offering it their altered and dragster rollers. i don't know if it is a pride thing as they are using ford suspension parts freely in the front suspension as well.

a) why are ends switched to begin with? For example chevy 12-bolt with ford housing/bearing ends and the axle stays in a chevy---thus presumably keeping the chevy bolt pattern etc?

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 12-26-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Well, the company is S+W; They are offering it their altered and dragster rollers. i don't know if it is a pride thing as they are using ford suspension parts freely in the front suspension as well.

a) why are ends switched to begin with? For example chevy 12-bolt with ford housing/bearing ends and the axle stays in a chevy---thus presumably keeping the chevy bolt pattern etc?
Ford 'ends' are used commonly because of the elimination of c-clips. Yes, c-clip eliminators are available for GM housings, but they have a tendency to leak where the 9" ends don't. Using the 9" ends also makes it easier to use OE or aftermarket rear disc kits.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-26-2010 at 07:28 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I can not think of one single reason to have a furd 9" modified for Olds housing ends. The old 60's olds rears used a positive axle retention but you have that in the 9" already. I really don't know much about the Olds rears other than to say parts are EXPENSIVE for them. Inversely parts for the 9" are so common and made by domestic and every offshore company that knows how to melt steel!

There is some leverage benefit to the Dana60 design over the 9", and as I understand some better tolerance to high impact / shock loading in really high HP cars.

My weapon of choice is a furd 9" design.

That's the Strange aluminum center-section and pro gear spool from my car. I've tried for 8 years to tear it up with 800HP WFO transbrake launches but it seems to stay together and look for other weak links.

These days with fabricated housings, aftermarket center-sections, axles, brake packages.... it's really a 9" 'design' as I don't know anyone using a honest-to-gawd furd 9" housing or anything. Not a lot of them around any more just as a true Dana 60 housing is pretty scarce in the junk yards these days.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Here is the link:
http://www.swracecars.com/sw-race-ca...-altereds.aspx

i understand that someone may want to keep their bolt pattern+brake system, but i'm thinking a person buying a new rolling chassis wouldn't care? In most cases the chassis comes with wheels and brakes anyways.........

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 12-26-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
68 C-10 KID
Mean Green

I did put some thought into the Nodular 9" big bearing carrier. I didn't want to get off the wallet to buy it.
I'm not sure on the cost to build one or other. I'll be into the 60 about $1500
Dana 60 $100
Spool, 35 spline axles lightened, axle perch, 9" ends, disc brakes, yolk, bearing kit $1450
I'm not sure on the strength of the 9 to the 60 in a heavy car. My goal is to big block it. I want to pull the wheels like the super stock guys! and have it hold together.
AKA MEAN GREEN.
68 C-10 KID is offline   Reply With Quote