The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
jakeblues652

syncro replacement?

my third gear syncro is shot, and i was talking to a machiene shop specilizing in transmissions from TX i think, and they told me $20 for the 3rd and 4th gear syncros. i hate having 3rd pop out of gear all the time so i want so replace it. how hard would this be? im not an expert, but ive been turning wrenches a while, and i know lefty loosey righty tighty i've had engines apart and everything, but trannys are a whole new ballfield.
its a 4 speed. im not sure if its the SM420 or SM 465. its from a '67 4x4. and reverse is all the way towards the driver and down.
you think i could tackle this? i dont want to spend the money on having a tranny shop do it, and i dont want to try my luck pulling one from the local junkyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Did you figure out how to fix it?...I mean with other than a BFH?!

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there
jakeblues652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
treveiger

Re: syncro replacement?

Its a sm420, the sm465 reverse is over to the right and down. Ive heard mixed things about rebuilding them, some say its easy some say theyll never try it again. Ive done lot of research about these trannys and rebuilding them because id like mine completely done just so i know its dependable and have pretty much decieded on taking to a local shop even though id hate to... If you knew somebody that knows how to do these trannys and has the right tools id say go for it but if not i might look for a different tranny IMO.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
jakeblues652

thats the thing. my "local shop" is at least an hour away. and by that time its not so local anymore.

Quote:

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there
Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
treveiger

Ya i use to live out of town and was about a 30 some minute trip in just to get to town. Maybe call them up and see how much it costs? You can find these trannys on ebay, craigslist and things like that but it does take some time.

And if im not mistaken(if i am i hope somebody corrects me on this)to replace the syncros you have to basically take the whole tranny apart and have certain tools to do this. Have you researched it on google?

Last edited by treveiger; 12-31-2010 at 01:39 AM.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
jakeblues652

i can't say i have. and i sort of want to do it, because being young, id rather learn the stuff now and i plan on going into the auto industry after college, and i know these are simplier than any stuff now-a-days.

Quote:

Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeblues652 View Post
i can't say i have. and i sort of want to do it, because being young, id rather learn the stuff now and i plan on going into the auto industry after college, and i know these are simplier than any stuff now-a-days.
O i know what you mean im 19 and everything but the tranny im planning on doing and i wouldnt be suprised if i try on that to it just depends on what happens next summer. One thing a friend told me when he went to college is they teach mostly new things rather than old which sucks because of all the people wanting to learn about these trucks, you have to learn by doing basically. Ill see if i can find some stuff on google again... I printed a lot of info out but dont remember where i got it from.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
jakeblues652

the way i look at it is you gotta know how the foundation of new cars worked, which would really be these because they were started in the 50's. if you have an understanding of these, others will come easier.

Quote:

Old 12-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
treveiger

Found some info on the 420, the way i understand it is novak has a really good rebuild kit with good instructions and people are trying it that have never done it before and are having great results(now i want to try it again). Here are some links below, there are some certain tools youll need but nothing to crazy.

http://www.kinzers.com/don/landcruis...ons/index.html

http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/SM420/sm420.html This one is for a conversion but it has some great info.

Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeblues652 View Post
the way i look at it is you gotta know how the foundation of new cars worked, which would really be these because they were started in the 50's. if you have an understanding of these, others will come easier.
Ya exactly, if you can work on newer cars you can work on older ones .