The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
zip76

Re: Regarding Small Step-Vans Custom or Stock

Man I love all the Step van pictures. I acquired my step van about a year ago and I absolutely love it. It's a 1991 GMC Utilimaster with a 6.2 liter diesel. I've been slowly converting it into an RV/daily driver.
So far I put some pretty big RV windows in it (they're also emergency exits) and changed the headlights to Freight-liner style headlights and put led tail lights in her. I also picked up a bench style seat that folds into a bed, put all new wood in the rear and picked up two comfy bucket seats.
I'm thinking about installing a front axle and making it into a 4x4. It doesn't look too hard.
Whatcha Think???

Last edited by zip76; 01-03-2011 at 12:42 PM.
zip76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Mkcustums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip76 View Post
Man I love all the Step van pictures. I acquired my step van about a year ago and I absolutely love it. It's a 1991 GMC Utilimaster with a 6.2 liter diesel. I've been slowly converting it into an RV/daily driver.
So far I put some pretty big RV windows in it (they're also emergency exits) and changed the headlights to Freight-liner style headlights and put led tail lights in her. I also picked up a bench style seat that folds into a bed, put all new wood in the rear and picked up two comfy bucket seats.
I'm thinking about installing a front axle and making it into a 4x4. It doesn't look too hard.
Whatcha Think???

What axle would you put under it, would you lift it or just leave it the same height?

Last edited by Mkcustums; 01-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
zip76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkcustums View Post
What axle would you put under it, would you lift it or just leave it the same height?
I'm thinking of lifting it, actually I might have to just lift the rear. If I just throw in a front axle...it looks like it would automatically be lifted because of the the bend in the current setup..I'm not sure what axle I'd put in it....I have a half ton axle, but don't know if that would be heavy duty enough???.Take a look.

Last edited by zip76; 01-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
zip76

Here's a (quickly made) photoshopped picture of what I kinda want it to look like....maybe lifted a little higher Not too shabby.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Mkcustums

Quote:
Here's a (quickly made) photoshopped picture of what I kinda want it to look like....maybe lifted a little higher Not too shabby.

If you could get that to work that would be pretty cool, I'd drive it. (just different KC light covers)

lol Oh, and need to have the whole bumper match... (drivers side)

Last edited by Mkcustums; 01-03-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
FuzeMagazine

Quote:
Whatcha Think???

Any progress?? I've seen you on other boards.
FuzeMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
zip76

Finally made some progress. Paint and wheels. Gutted interior. New led marker ligjts.
Attached Images