The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: mac vs snap-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBuilder View Post
I have noticed that if you don't owe the Snap On guy money every week he wont give you the time of day. I have had this experience with several dealers.

I've been spin'n um daily over 30yrs and have had the same experience from all mobile dealers, I had a couple broken Matco sockets in my box but hadn't seen a truck in the area for over a year.

I was driving around from behind the shop headed to lunch and holy cow, There was a Matco truck sitting in front of our parts department door. I got all gitty and cought the guy (in a Matco shirt and hat) at the counter buying ATV parts, Told him I needed to swap some broken tools. The azzhat snapped back hatefully "Can't help you, I'm no longer a dealer" !

My parts guy seen his attitude and charged him 20% over list price for each of his parts then we went to the steak house for lunch....

Sears is 3 miles up the street and will get the job done.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #27
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I've been spin'n um daily over 30yrs and have had the same experience from all mobile dealers, I had a couple broken Matco sockets in my box but hadn't seen a truck in the area for over a year.

I was driving around from behind the shop headed to lunch and holy cow, There was a Matco truck sitting in front of our parts department door. I got all gitty and cought the guy (in a Matco shirt and hat) at the counter buying ATV parts, Told him I needed to swap some broken tools. The azzhat snapped back hatefully "Can't help you, I'm no longer a dealer" !

My parts guy seen his attitude and charged him 20% over list price for each of his parts then we went to the steak house for lunch....

Sears is 3 miles up the street and will get the job done.....
The problem with that is, if you "use" your tools daily you might as well just purchase extras so you can make your weekly sears run. Their ratchets lately are terrible. I have had ones warrantied out and the replacements they give me are worse than the pos I took in. I have better things to do than waste my fuel. I was having really good luck with my snap-on guy until the last few months. He was sick, which is understandable, and off for 5 weeks. But then before Thanksgiving, he dissappeared and I haven't seen him since. The worst part is I just won one of the snap-on epic grills and I'm pretty sure I'll never see that now.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #28
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
The problem with that is, if you "use" your tools daily you might as well just purchase extras so you can make your weekly sears run.

Well, I do "use" my tools daily and I can't recall the last time I had to make a Sears run. Don't get me wrong, I've got a mix of every truck brand tool along with Sears/Bonny and Proto. All my ratchets except my 3/4 drive socket set (Bonny) are Sears fine cog type and have never had one break.....

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I use tools like their intended to be used, Just because any have a "lifetime" warranty doesn't mean they can be abused. They were not designed for use with cheater pipes or hammers, That's what "breaker" bars and pneumatic/electric impact wrenches are designed for.

No "lifetime" warranty is worth a crap without dealer support......

Good Luck getting your grill.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #29
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
The problem with that is, if you "use" your tools daily you might as well just purchase extras so you can make your weekly sears run. Their ratchets lately are terrible. I have had ones warrantied out and the replacements they give me are worse than the pos I took in. I have better things to do than waste my fuel. I was having really good luck with my snap-on guy until the last few months. He was sick, which is understandable, and off for 5 weeks. But then before Thanksgiving, he dissappeared and I haven't seen him since. The worst part is I just won one of the snap-on epic grills and I'm pretty sure I'll never see that now.
I have made my live'n with my tools since '84 I bought a lot Snap-on when I start'd, spent a lot of money. I've always work'd at small dealer ships (farm/construction equip) the truck would skip us most day's to go where there where more customer's. from that I start'd buy'n Craftsman and soon realized I was save'n a ton of money and have'n really good luck with the product.
that will suck if they screw you outa the grill, I hope you catch up with him he squares you away .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
dan76

Sears has recently released a new fine tooth ratchet (86 tooth IIRC). Anyone try it yet?

I'm tempted having received a Sears gift card for the holidays and the price of the three ratchet set almost matches the card value.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #31
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I hear you guys on the craftsman stuff, I guess it is just a moot point for me because I work on heavy trucks and rusty pick ups. I use tools as they are intended because I can't afford to be down due to mis-using them. This is part of the reason I am so dang broke. It takes a good tool to be used over and over on things like this, and my poor tools get used a lot. We always have projects going on and who knows who might be using them.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #32
a.c.1

Been turning wrenches on diesel trucks for 20 years now. I've used all brands from HF to Snap on. The only tools I've broken deserved to be broken(mostly Chinese stuff) and went straight to the trash. I buy mostly Snap on because I can, but still use a set of HF impact sockets with my Snap on Impacts. Haven't broke one yet. I think alot of it has to do with sensing that point right before somethings gonna break. Thats when you "get a bigger hammer"
a.c.1 is offline   Reply With Quote