The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
CircusWagonJim

3/4-ton LWB to 1/2-ton SWB- Shorten or Swap?

The last time I did this 10 years ago I happened to have both a long bed with a nice cab and a short bed with a junk cab and rebuilt chassis. Now I have a 3/4-ton long bed with leafs in the rear and wonder should I shorten this frame and add trailing arms? Keep the leafs and flip the rearend? Or swap to a short bed frame? Can you just add 1/2-ton spindles and brakes to the 3/4 ton or are the control arms different? Trying to go the simplest route since the truck is together and running. When I swapped before neither had any running gear and the short bed frame had already been gone through with a drop kit and disc brakes added- it was a no brainer just to swap. Thanks Jim
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 3/4-ton LWB to 1/2-ton SWB- Shorten or Swap?

The last one I did I back-1/2'd the 3/4t frame and fabbed a 4-link. That was a pro-street build but would be a way to go for a cruiser,too. Finding a short frame would sure make it simple. By the time you get the trailing arm stuff and swap it after shortening you'll have a chunk of work. Probably lowering with springs would be the simplest. Lots of options/combinations...flip,longer shackles,drop spring mounts,drop leaves.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 3/4-ton LWB to 1/2-ton SWB- Shorten or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusWagonJim View Post
The last time I did this 10 years ago I happened to have both a long bed with a nice cab and a short bed with a junk cab and rebuilt chassis. Now I have a 3/4-ton long bed with leafs in the rear and wonder should I shorten this frame and add trailing arms? Keep the leafs and flip the rearend? Or swap to a short bed frame? Can you just add 1/2-ton spindles and brakes to the 3/4 ton or are the control arms different? Trying to go the simplest route since the truck is together and running. When I swapped before neither had any running gear and the short bed frame had already been gone through with a drop kit and disc brakes added- it was a no brainer just to swap. Thanks Jim
The upper a-arms are the same.
The 3/4 ton lower a-arms have a bigger ball joint hole.
Either find some 1/2 ton lower a-arms or buy ECE's conversion drop sprindles.
(they allow you to install 1/2 ton rotors and calipers,... without changing anything)
I would try to locate a swb coil spring frame.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote