The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

56 with Camaro subframe ?

I am puting a Camaro subframe in my 56 and I have a question. My truck is a factory V8, so I think the core support was installed about 5 inches behind where the 6 cyl would have been mounted. I have been looking at the build pics here and it looks like I need to put the core suppert in the 6 cyl location to clear the steering box. Is this corect? Also did they use the same frame mounts just moved 5 inches ? Thanks.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
pugs

Re: 56 with Camaro subframe ?

support is in the same position with either a 6 or an 8
Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
56ClassicTruck

Should clear not a problem, good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
56ClassicTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
support is in the same position with either a 6 or an 8

INCORRECT
The radiator support is moved back for the V8 installation, from the factory.
I wish there was a way to bet on this one. I'd put up a bunch.
This is a been there done that for me. Changing from a 6 to an 8 in a 57,3100.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
pugs

ok show me the pics cuz i dont see how the support its can be moved when the inner and outter fender bolt up to it and i used fenders that came off of a stock v8 truck already and mine was a stock inline6
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
PDW HOTRODS

The inner fenders have a second set of holes where the core support can be bolted, and I found where the mount can be moved to also. Most of my experience has been with 47-53, so I didn't notice this right away. I couldn't figure out why mine didnt match the pics here untill I looked at the inner fenders. This truck was original and unmodified when I got it, just poor condition. I will get pics later today.

Last edited by PDW HOTRODS; 01-09-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
pugs

dang and with all the trucks i played over the years i never noticed that the inner had 2 sets of holes, but then again with the trucks being as old as they are who knows what may have been changed on them
Old 01-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
robnolimit

Yep, there are two sets of holes. You'l be much happier moving to the six cyl location. The factory mounts were different, the six cyl mounts being slightly taller than the V8 mounts, to compensate for the frame sloping down. You can move your six cyl mounts forward, they'l bolt right in, the holes are already in the frame. Then make up a 5/16 thich spacer for under the core support. If you haven't done a Camaro swap before, we have a video that shows you how.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
PDW HOTRODS

I have done 5 subframes before, but this is the first factory V8 truck. It looks like the 6 cyl mounts should be taller, but with the subframe I need to modify things anyway.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #10

At least for the 55-57 chevy Pickups I have owned the radiator support stays in the same place with reference to the inner fenders whether a V8 or 6. If it was a V8 it had a 5" or so panel that sat on top of the radiator support and an extra parallel cross bar went across the engine bay towards the cab to support the other side of the panel. They also had another panel that fit at the bottom of the radiator.

They have two positions for the motor mounts on the frame, V8 and 6.

Also six cylinder automatics and V8's didn't have a floor starter switch and started on the dash. At least within the 10 or so trucks I have had and drivenover the years.
19 year old Chihuahua (Factory Teeth)
55454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
tmoble

What he said. What I've seen is a metal spacer/box deal the moved the radiator back 4 or 5 inches for the V-8.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
bobinbc

I have a factory V8 truck and a factory 6 cyl and the V8 has the flat piece of metal on top that goes from the rad support forward to the extra crossbar. In other words the rad support is moved back compared to the six cylinder truck. I've also had several more and looked at many.

I'm moving the rad support forward on the V8 truck because otherwise it would greatly interfere with the steering box on my clip (similar to camaro clip)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 01-14-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spell
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #13

The radiator moves on the tri-five car and truck.The radiator actually goes on the other side of support on a six cylinder car towards the grill.

I wont post on this again any only trying to be helpful, but the actual support doesn't move in the car or truck. The radiator does. For the most part the engine bay is V shaped. If you were to move the radiator support back it would be to short and not meet the fenders. Also I have never seen extra holes in the frame for the radiator support to be moved back.

I found a few pictures of this on the internet, but not sure how to load them. GMC's may be different also. I may be incorrect about the Chevy's, but a tape meausure would state the facts. Not to mentioned the hood latch panel would be completely different if this were to be true. I am trying to learn also and may incorrect in my thinking. I do have the six cylinder set up at this time and no tangible proof at this time on the V8 set up. If anyone can post pictures that would be great.

Thanks
19 year old Chihuahua (Factory Teeth)
55454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #14
bobinbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55454 View Post
The radiator moves on the tri-five car and truck.The radiator actually goes on the other side of support on a six cylinder car towards the grill.

I wont post on this again any only trying to be helpful, but the actual support doesn't move in the car or truck. The radiator does. For the most part the engine bay is V shaped. If you were to move the radiator support back it would be to short and not meet the fenders. Also I have never seen extra holes in the frame for the radiator support to be moved back.

I found a few pictures of this on the internet, but not sure how to load them. GMC's may be different also. I may be incorrect about the Chevy's, but a tape meausure would state the facts. Not to mentioned the hood latch panel would be completely different if this were to be true. I am trying to learn also and may incorrect in my thinking. I do have the six cylinder set up at this time and no tangible proof at this time on the V8 set up. If anyone can post pictures that would be great.

Thanks
Sorry sir, but that is incorrect as far as the trucks go. Yes on the tri-5 cars the rad moves but on the trucks the support has two different mounting positions. There are 2 sets of holes in the inner fenders, and they aren't V-shaped in that area. Also the mounts on the frame are in a different location on a v-8 truck, I'll take pics of mine tomorrow if you like. Also the hood latch is not affected. Here's a pic of my truck as I was taking it apart. It was originally a V8/Hydro truck but the rad had been changed and the original drivetrain had been replaced with a 327/th350, the truck still has the automatic column shifter adapted to work with the turbo 350.

Anyway, the hood latch mounts in the angled panel that goes between the top grill bar and the crossbar. Then a flat piece with embossed rectangles in it goes from the crossbar to the rad support which is placed farther back than on a 6 cylinder truck. The VIN number on this truck begins with a "V" and the hood emblem has a big "V" in it which are just a couple of ways to tell that this was a factory V8 truck. Hope that clears up any confusion, as I currently own 1 of each and had several more of both over the years I'm quite sure of this. It may be possible that other plants built them differently (mine was built in Oakland , CA) or that the rad spaced back was a conversion deal but I don't recall seeing one. I have seen rads spaced back on other chevys, maybe from the early 60's...?
One more thing, looking at my pic I see there is a reinforcement plate on the backside of the inner fender where the rad support mounts to it, does anyone have a 6 cyl one to see where the brace is on it?(my 6 cyl truck is not accessible right now)

Edit: here's a pic showing the 2 sets of holes on the inner fender for the rad support and you can see how mounting on the rear holes in the V8 position would interfere with the Camaro steering box like robnolimit was saying...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 01-16-2011 at 06:47 AM.
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
PDW HOTRODS

Yes the core support does move. Thanks for the pics, I took pics but could not figure out how to put them up.