The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
floridasteve

Help with Frenched headlights

I hope you guys can assist me with the install of the rings for these frenched headlights. The plastic trim rings appear to go fore and aft of the headlight. However the holes dont align with the dimples on the back of the headlight. No problem I can trim the ring to "sandwich" the headlight between the rings. Then the holes don't align with the tabs inside the buckets. These were prewelded so it is not something I did other than position them into the opening prior to welding and doing the bodywork. My questions are where do the springs attach to and am I correct that the screws go thru the plastic ring and then into the tabs which will allow me to adjust the headlight . I need to be able to adjust the depth so there is no gap betweeen the outside trim ring and the light glass. Any photos or help is greatly appreciated. I have attached photos of where I am on the issue.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Help with Frenched headlights

Oh those things.

Well to start with you have them a bit out of kilter as the top tab should be exactly at 12 O'clock an the others should be exactly at 3 an 9. You might have enough tab to be able to catch the tab with the mounting screws but it will be close. That is so your headlights stand up square in the truck and don't look like they are leaning off to one side.

The instructions are here off the Hagan site http://www.haganauto.com/v/vspfiles/...structions.pdf
There should be six #6x1" screws in the kit plus six 8x1-1.5 screws plus six springs.
The short screws hold the two plastic retainers in place and the long screws and the springs mount the headlights.

I've always thought that that ring they put in with the lights was way to big and way too ugly but that's just me. There is a rumor floating around that someone is making a better looking ring for those that helps them look like the 53 Mercury rings that they are trying to copy.

The directions appear to be some of the easiest to follow I have seen on any aftermarket item.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
floridasteve

Re: Help with Frenched headlights

Thanks! the rings I have seem to be off somehow. The thee cutouts for the lamps don't line up correctly nor do the holes for the tabs. I am sure that I can tweek it somehow now that I know how the springs go in. The tabs are off the position of 12, 3, and 9 a little but I have to modify the rings anyway. Thats what I get for welding them when they were off the truck. Again the instructions were exactly what I needed, guess it would have helped if I had them at the start. You guys rock thanks again