The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
DriverDown

Talking Wheel Vintiques and trim rings

So... I've just bought four of the Wheel Vintiques OE truck rallies from Summit:

Wheel Vintiques 42 Series O.E. Style Pickup Rallye Silver Wheels

...center caps from eBay:

center caps

...and McGard lugs from Amazon:

McGard 84530

All that is left, I believe, is the trim rings, but I'm really not sure what the correct rings are since Wheel Vintiques lists three possibilities. Also, looking through old posts, I see links to other vendors such as http://www.autoenhance.com/trimr.html. Anyone know for sure the correct rings to use?

Also, the wheels have a sticker on them saying the paint is not warranted for rust, etc. Can I mount these as they are or is it recommended to have them stripped and repainted or powder coated? I really don't want to spend more money on these wheels stripping off what seems to be decent paint.

Last edited by DriverDown; 01-20-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fix Amazon link
DriverDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: Wheel Vintiques and trim rings

I had to recoat mine after 2 years, so just go ahead and save yourself some grief. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
I had to recoat mine after 2 years, so just go ahead and save yourself some grief. Jay
Thanks, I might just go ahead and do it, but 2 years is not so bad... also have to say I love the CCSB in your avatar - I've been itching to try that for a while now.

Regarding the trim rings, anyone know if one of these is correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-3002-1/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-3002-A-1/

$25 each? Automotive Enhancement lists what looks to be the same rings for $79.99/set...?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

They say the trim rings are chromed ABS plastic. I don't know how well those would hold up.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
They say the trim rings are chromed ABS plastic. I don't know how well those would hold up.
The cheapest ones they have available definitely are, and I wouldn't go that route, but further down the page they also have the "Stainless Steel Wheel Trim Rings Beauty Rings" in 15x8 for $79.99.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Ah, I see. I just clicked the link and saw ABS plastic. That doesn't sound too bad for the SS ones.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Susanville-Slam

I used to sell Wheel Vintiques wheels at my shop in San Jose before I closed it and moved into the mountains... Their wheels are painted fairly nice, I wouldn't worry about the finish, they were not powder-coated when I sold them and I don't believe they are now either, it makes for a great base for a color change .....The warning sticker is a "cover our ass" from Wheel Vintiques because No wheel manufacturer wants to warranty a finish because of all the variables that the wheel will see during "normal" use.
Anyway I digress......Buy the Trim rings from Wheel Vintiques because they will sell you the right ones for the wheels you bought from Summit Racing, they (Vintiques) offer more than one wheel outer that will effect how the ring snaps on. Or here's a thought why not buy the rings from Summit, don't they offer them ????

1964 Buick Riviera Blk/Blk mild kustom
1965 Olds. Cutlass F-85 Convertible/60s full-Kustom
1971 Ford Ranchero GT 429 cobra-jet ram-air
1973 Chevy Long-bed "Sunkist" work truck
1986 Olds. Cutlass Supreme Broughm
Susanville-Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanville-Slam View Post
I used to sell Wheel Vintiques wheels at my shop in San Jose before I closed it and moved into the mountains... Their wheels are painted fairly nice, I wouldn't worry about the finish, they were not powder-coated when I sold them and I don't believe they are now either, it makes for a great base for a color change .....The warning sticker is a "cover our ass" from Wheel Vintiques because No wheel manufacturer wants to warranty a finish because of all the variables that the wheel will see during "normal" use.
Anyway I digress......Buy the Trim rings from Wheel Vintiques because they will sell you the right ones for the wheels you bought from Summit Racing, they (Vintiques) offer more than one wheel outer that will effect how the ring snaps on. Or here's a thought why not buy the rings from Summit, don't they offer them ????
Thanks very much - that is definitely what I wanted to hear and somewhat suspected regarding the finish and CYA sticker.

Regarding the trim rings, Wheel Vintiques lists several trim rings as available for these wheels - 3000, 3001, and 3002 - but I'm not sure which of these, if any, is factory correct for an '84. The two I linked to above from Summit seem likely to be the right ones (and are listed as Wheel Vintiques brand), but I was hoping someone had been through this before and knew for sure:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-3002-1/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-3002-A-1/

I should probably just give Wheel Vintiques or Summit a call, but I'd trust the board more than them to know what is "correct".
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Susanville-Slam

Well as far as "correct" for '84 I am not sure, however I am assuming you have the Chevy Truck rallye (sorry didn't look which one ya bought) and not the "corvette" style. Well if the Truck rallye is what ya got, then if my memory serves me right neither of those rings "look" quite factory, the factory rings on the 8" 4x4 rallye (2wd wheels were originally 7"ers) had a real large curved radius from the top edge to the depth of the ring sort of a "soft" wheel design curvature if ya follow me, the rings shown in your links will 'fit" but they look like "corvette" rallye rings...............

1964 Buick Riviera Blk/Blk mild kustom
1965 Olds. Cutlass F-85 Convertible/60s full-Kustom
1971 Ford Ranchero GT 429 cobra-jet ram-air
1973 Chevy Long-bed "Sunkist" work truck
1986 Olds. Cutlass Supreme Broughm
Susanville-Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
silvereagle07

I bought the 3" ones from lmc on this page.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=97

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanville-Slam View Post
Well as far as "correct" for '84 I am not sure, however I am assuming you have the Chevy Truck rallye (sorry didn't look which one ya bought) and not the "corvette" style. Well if the Truck rallye is what ya got, then if my memory serves me right neither of those rings "look" quite factory, the factory rings on the 8" 4x4 rallye (2wd wheels were originally 7"ers) had a real large curved radius from the top edge to the depth of the ring sort of a "soft" wheel design curvature if ya follow me, the rings shown in your links will 'fit" but they look like "corvette" rallye rings...............
I gotcha - so, unless I can find some originals at the salvage yard, I may just be out of luck. At this point, as long as they fit the wheels and are similar to original, I suppose I'll be happy.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
DriverDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle07 View Post
I bought the 3" ones from lmc on this page.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=97
I see some 3" rings here on the previous page:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=96

38-3777 for the set - is this what you went with for truck rallies? Happy with the rings?