The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #26
Tchia65

Re: Rear 4-Link Suspension SALE!!

Quick question. Why would you run the risk of compromising handling for a running board? Why not make the handling a priority and then make a custom running board mount around your suspension of choice? The wider your mounting the more stable the chassis, plus the bars on that triangulated setup seem pretty short. I'm sure Rob will have a much better explanation.
1972 Malibu wagon

Last edited by Tchia65; 12-28-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #27
troy54gmc

Tchia65, Thats what im looking for if moving the bars inside will make that much of a difference. if so than yes i will move the bracket and fab something up for it. Again like i said its just going to be for cruiseing not raceing.
troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 AM   #28
Tchia65

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy54gmc View Post
Tchia65, Thats what im looking for if moving the bars inside will make that much of a difference. if so than yes i will move the bracket and fab something up for it. Again like i said its just going to be for cruiseing not raceing.
Think of your axle as a lever, the further you move the mount inboard the more dramatic the load your suspension has to deal with. You've done such a nice job on your frame already.
1972 Malibu wagon
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #29
robnolimit

Looking at your progress I think you can use these parts and have a good outcome. First, you can fix a lot of the negatives about the tri-4 link by using rod ends in the upper bars. Since the builder used thread in adjusters at both ends of the bars, thats an easy swap. See if they'll sell you the kit, less 4 adjusters, then buy 4 rod ends to use. You'll need rod ends that are 3/4" thread, with a 5/8" eye. QA-1 is a good source. As far as layou, - don'y worry too much about the third running board mount. Pull it off for now, and fit the lower link outboard, try to set it level at ride hieght. You should have room for a slider style bag in front of the axle, outboard. I like to use the smaller 1200 lb firestone bags, I'll get you a pt #. Upper bars should slope down to the frame appx 5 deg. You'd be very happy with that set up.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #30
robnolimit

Look at the firestone 7012 rolling sleave bags. 4" closed, 13" open, 8" RH. 5" max dia. these have a 1000lb rating. it'll take about 80psi at RH, and they ride great. If you really need the rear running board mount, you can re-fit it in later, or build a custom one. - Or, go without abd bolt the fender to the running board - I don't think you'l be standing on it anyway
Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #31
troy54gmc

Hey Rob. thanks for the info. i checked out the QA-1 website, very cool stuff. They had alot of different rod ends to choose from. Just curious if you had a specific one you use or recomend, and i was thinking of getting them with the grease zurks added. Also you said just use them on the upper triangular bars not the two parallel bars, correct? Thanks again for info and the parts #s. Troy....
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #32
robnolimit

The med duty ends with zerks are a good choice. just on the uppers is all. Let us know how it works out.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #33
cajundragger

your not going to notice a difference from running the links inboard or outboard.

plain and simple. Therefor, Id go inboard.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
robnolimit

A simple test. Grab a broom handle, about 5 ft long. (roughly the length of your axle). Hold the broom handle straight out with your hands about 24" apart (but centered). Have your buddy (or girlfriend or wife, but not both) push on one end of the broom handle, and feel how much leverage they have to move it around. (this is inboard mounting) Next, move your hands outboard to about 44" (outboard mounting), and have the same person push the broom handle the same way. See the difference? I'm not wanting to start an argument, just trying to shed some light on the subject. Happy new years.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #35
cajundragger

as far as outboard mounting the springs/dampers I see a large advantage.

as far as whatever linkage youd like to run, I dont see any advantage to outboard mount on a street driven truck when it will cause interference.

your broom stick analogy is more for springs/dampers than it is for link mounting.

your have much better control of each wheel in a solid axle suspension when the springs/dampers are mounted as close to the hub as possible. But, as far as inboard or outboard linkages, you'd really have to push the truck VERY hard to see the difference.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #36
robnolimit

While I tend to agree, if you are starting from scratch, why not go for the best. Some of the parts that gian stress as you move the links inboard are the pivit bushings, which can cause a shift in the axle location, also in the axle housing, which is easies to bend with an inboard mount. On to the mounts themselves, that can bend easier on an inboard mount.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #37
cajundragger

right, but honestly...how hard would you have to push it to worry about bushing flex and bracket flex?

at that point you'd be switching to delrin bushings anyways and have gussets galore.

On a street driven truck I think you'd pick the lowest hanging fruit, aka inboard links...because the pros outweigh the cons considerably. My opinion.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #38
Tchia65

It would depend greatly on the driver. I personally beat the crap out of my vehicles. If he is more respectful of his truck then he has more options.
1972 Malibu wagon
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #39
troy54gmc

Hey guys, Rob, Cajun, Tchia, i really appreciate all your guys info. I didnt mean to start a argument about re-inventing the wheel or what holds it in place, i merely just wanted some insight from guys that have been doin this alot longer than i have. I can tell you guys are very passionette about your trades which is what i love about this website. You can post a question and usually get 10-15 answers within a day, wether their right or not it doesnt matter cause it usually gives you the right idea in the end. Im will post some pictures when i get the rear suspension done, as to wether i go inboard or out will have to wait till then.... Thanks Alot.

P.S I ADDED A PICTURE CAUSE THREADS WITHOUT PICTURES SUCK!!!

GO CARDINALS
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #40
robnolimit

HAHA, not an argument at all, just a difference of opinion. The reason they make blue paint, is that not everybody likes red. Somepeople like no paint. As a parts manufacturer, we think about a lot of factors that go into a part. At No Limit, our scale of importance runs like this: 1. Performance 2. Fit and Finish 3. Ease of Installation 4. Price point 5. Appearance 6. Manufacturing difficulty 7. Profit margin. Now, while every manufacturer looks at the same factors, we dont all scale the same way. Some put looks first, others profit. It all depends on what is most important to you. Happy New Year!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #41
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

What brand of coilovers come with the kit?
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #42
robnolimit

They are "Romic", Romic used to make Alden shocks. They have worked with us for more than 7 yrs to get the valving and length the way we want. Billit, rebuildable, lifetime warrenty.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #43
michellenolimit

OKAY!! Just Wanted to Let EVERYONE KNOW, Tomorrow........ Jan 5th is the Last Day of the 4-Link Sale, But I will be posting a FEW More Sales here in the AM

Michelle
No Limit Engineering
michellenolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #44
oldgrumpyguy

OK I'm not the kind of guy who is a negative person, but I have to comment on this vendor. I first saw this 4-link kit on e-Bay and tried unsuccessfully to contact them both through e-Bay and through their direct e-mail. The kit is just what I want for my twin turbo 383 in my 72 GMC. Most other kits available for street use are not sturdy enough for 800 HP and 5000 pounds of truck. After giving up on contacting NO-LIMIT on e-Bay I was surfing around and came on this message board and found the same kit here. Again my e-mails went unanswered and I finally got in touch with them via phone. After waiting for days someone to call back I again tried to contact them and finally succeeded, although I did have to wait to be called back. I was successful in ordering the kit and was told the sale price listed here was over that day, "lucky me" I told them as they did honor the sale price. I was asked multiple times what truck I had and each time I told them a 1972 C-1500 GMC long bed with factory leaf springs. A few days later they called to check once again as to what truck I had, stating that they were ready to ship and wanted to be sure. The kit arrived and was of very good quality and I set about installing it, when it came time to mount the front brackets to the frame it was obvious they were not for my truck. I took some pictures and e-mailed them to NO-LIMIT and, much to my surprise, I got a reply a few days later from their office saying they had received my e-mail and would be in touch. Well taking my past experience with their communication skills into account, I waited a few days and got out the sawzall and welder and made the brackets fit. I've been doing this hot rod stuff since the late 50's when you had to modify virtually all the aftermarket parts that you bought to make them fit, so it's old hat to me. Yesterday they responded with an e-mail telling me they would make new brackets for me. After more than 2 weeks without a reply I told them I had already modified the other brackets and "not to bother" with new ones. I added the comment that I couldn't wait forever. We as consumers, have no way of knowing who we are dealing with when we see a good, professional looking website what the business behind it actually is.
'06 Mustang GT w/5 speed
He who dies with the most toys is still dead.
oldgrumpyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #45
robnolimit

Oldgrumpyguy. I am sorry for the delays with your order processing. Yes, we have websites, computers, and e-mail. But, we are fabricators, and sometimes the phone works best. I will be glad to look into the parts problem monday, if there is anything we can do to restore your opinion of us please let us no. Via phone. We are a small company doing our best. I'm sure you'll be happy when you drive it. Rob
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #46
oldgrumpyguy

I stated I had no problem with your quality and I'm sure it will work well when I get it finished. My previous post pointed out some problems with your operation. I hope you can correct them. Good luck.
'06 Mustang GT w/5 speed
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #47
Dirty Doug

just wanted to ease the tension a bit.
Dirty Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #48
Tchia65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrumpyguy View Post
I stated I had no problem with your quality and I'm sure it will work well when I get it finished. My previous post pointed out some problems with your operation. I hope you can correct them. Good luck.
You sound very perturbed and I would be too if I had you're experience. I bought a chassis kit from No Limit in August and I have NEVER not been able to get a hold of them. I got the wrong "A" arms in my kit. They sent some for coilovers but I'm running airbags. I notified them and had the correct ones within the week. They have also exchanged shocks for me with no hassle, and even mailed me out some brackets that I lost. I call and talk to their tech Micheal on a regular basis when I run into a problem on my build and need advise. Michelle runs a tight ship and has always been very helpful. I've also emailed Michelle and never experienced what you have.
1972 Malibu wagon

Last edited by Tchia65; 02-01-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
oldgrumpyguy

I'm glad to hear that my experenice is not the norm for this company. I would think, however, if you have an item up on e-Bay and someone sends you a question, you should answer them. There was no phone number for NO-LIMIT on e-Bay and I only stumbled onto NO-LIMIT on this forum. I would have liked to have gotten started on this job 4 weeks sooner if they had answered me on e-Bay I could have. I guess that's my main gripe. The problem has been taken care of and they were willing to make me the correct frame brackets, so I guess I should shut up about it now...
'06 Mustang GT w/5 speed

Last edited by oldgrumpyguy; 02-01-2011 at 10:02 AM.