The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
chris mc bride

epoxy for ports

Might be kind of off beat question. Ive seen few articles on heads where they had a epoxy to build up inside of ports to acheive differant shape to port for flow gains. Wondering if anyone knows which epoxy is used and maybe a company that sells it. Im working on some heads for race project and would like to test few ideas, Ive already did some flow work on these and results look good but real proof is on the track. These are billet heads and welding will be final part if all works out. Problem would be welding is more permanent thing and not as easily changed.
Please I know risk of epoxy in ports but this is just a alcohol injected motor no blower so Im wiling to take risk.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
chris mc bride

epoxy in the heads

Im working on set of heads for racecar.I have seen few articles on heads where they used epoxy to build up inside the ports. Wondering if anyone knows of comapny that might sell a epoxy product that will stay put for while in situatation such as this. I will weld heads later but would like to try few things first to see how they work out. The head I have are very lerge porst they are off my alcohol funny car. Im trying to reduce port size and increase velocity. The design works on flow bench but we dont race flow readings we race horsepower. I only need for this to work for cpl runs before I gring epoxy out and weld heads up
Yes I know the risk of destruction if epoxy turns loose but since its just injected and no blower Im not real worried about that part,just trying to avoid it with best product I can get. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
regan wilson

Re: epoxy in the heads

Kenneth Abbott built a set of heads for me in the 90's that had epoxy in them . I also did an intake myself in the 80's with a 2 part epoxy but cant remember what kind though I do remember it was white . One thing I do know is alchohol will lift it so if you are running alchohol you might want to go ahead and start welding .
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Re: epoxy for ports

A-788 Splash Zone or Kop-Koat is what most use. If you're running alcohol for fuel you'll have to seal it somehow.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I used some from Moroso (it's a creamy yellow/white) inside the tunnelram to fill and smooth some areas, but I don't know if it will hold up to the heat in a head. I'll ask my machinist when I call him this week if your not in a big hurry. Like Regan said alcohol is so darn destructive to so many materials,, if that's your fuel,, I'd be cautious.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
chris mc bride

thanks for info guys. I know alcohol can be problem. Hopefully I can find one that will stnad up for about 6 or passes. than I'll know if ides works or not.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
chris mc bride

thanks Ill look it up and see what I can find
Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
chris mc bride

I found something that worked for testing purpose so far anyway. I used Marine tex. If you've ever used this stuff you know its almost steel after setting up. We did some flow work and went out for some light testing making simulated passes. Unforunately these just showed some protentail since local tracks not open yet for playing. Good part was after some hard shots we removed heads and checked the epoxy and it looked exactly like it did when we bolt the heads on. We even brought engine up to close to 240 degrees cpl times in dirveway to make sure heat wasn't problem.
So far this stuff seems like great stuff. Ive used it to buildup block surface on funnycay when we blowed the head gasket cpl times. Can't quarantee it will work for your application but seems to be working for us so far.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Quickshift-Perf

For reference, I've used the Manley P/N 40180 two part epoxy on aluminum cylinder heads and it holds really well. My machinist swears by it for fixing holes in runners or reshaping runners for flow testing, even on the exhaust runners.

Mike
Quickshift-Perf is offline   Reply With Quote