The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
barryvanhook

Re: Taking my truck to emissions today, Need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd99 View Post
Oh, I'm in Prescott. Is it by county?
Just in Maricopa and Pima counties ... and only Maricopa for bikes. (That's Phoenix and Tucson, respectively, for those of you from elsewhere).

Barry
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
78bronzechariot

Quote:
WTF? I've lived in Arizona for over a year now, both my vehicles are registered here and this is the first I've heard of smog'ing. I checked the DMV website and you guys are right. How did I manage to get registration and insurance without a smog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
it varies by location within the state. my dad lives in havasu and no emissions check is required there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Oh, I'm in Prescott. Is it by county?
Its a small world! I grew up in Prescott! I moved out here to Illinois five years ago because of family. Anyway, unless it changed it is only required in the metro areas of Tucson and Phoenix.
78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Maybe tape a 20 dollar bill to the exhaust tip where he can see it before he puts the sniffer in?

We dont have to have stuff that old tested in Washington and in the city where I live we dont have any smog testing for any vehicles new or old. (I probably just jinxed it)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
jwgeorge

Wldcat10, Let us know how you get it to pass! Good Luck!!

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns and those who dig."
jwgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Robertjust777

are any of your motors high performance? or have to big of a cam?
Robertjust777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Never heard of the alcohol trick, that is a pretty good tip. here in Cali I don't have to smog my 68...I'm glad I don't.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
stich626
Account Suspended

do an oil change, the fuel that got by the rings and is in your oil makes it fail..
as your pcv vavle sucks on the fumes..
efi doesn't have this issue as bad as it gets off the cold start fast, unlike your choke
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
HARJO

There is lots of debate between using rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol sometimes lists one of its uses as a "marine fuel".

I know denatured alcohol (paint section at HD or Lowes) worked for me in Nevada to reduce HC's and CO with an oversized carb on a 350. I added 1 gallon to half a tank of gas and presto-pass-o.
4x4 conversion, 6" lift, 37" GoodYear Military OZ's, carb'd GMPP RamJet 350, Be Cool aluminum radiator, Flex-o-Lite electric fans, March accessory brackets, T350 trans, NP205, 4 wheel disc, fuel cell... etc.
HARJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I understand the alcohol, makes it run lean. But how would highher otain help it burns slower, might not burn before it exits the combustion chamber.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
KrazyRay

I have first hand knowledge getting a 87 Chevy to pass emissions. I first went in and it failed the sniffer badly. The nice guy at the smog test place told me to put an 8oz bottle of Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner with about 8 gallons of 87 octane gas. I brought it back in and it passed with room to spare.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
69sixpackbee

Try Sea Foam too...great stuff!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
justtime520

I just ran the tank almost empty and got the 16oz bottle at 70% and then filled the tank almost full. Leaned it out at the gas station. Drove it for ten minutes got to emissions and let it sit in idle for about 2 hours. <------ wait time. Should be good to go. Oh and my edelbrock carb was set at 2 and 1/2 turns leaned it to just under 2 turns. dont forget to take your time getting to emissions.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...rod475-product
justtime520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
wldcat10

I never got a chance to take in my truck to emissions last week. So hopefully I can do it this weekend! I'm going to try that alcohol trick to see if that helps, I hope it does! This was the first time my truck has ever failed emissions since I've had it and I felt like crap! Hahaha wish me luck!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
KrazyRay

I just took another truck in today for emissions testing. I put the Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner in it with 8 gallons of 87 octane and it passed with lots of room to spare.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
Warrens69GMC

Take the truck to Automax at Grant and Dodge, ask the ASE mechanic "Silver" to set the truck for emissions. Should cost you ~50.00
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #16
too the max

The alcohol trick works. I had a '68 camaro that would never pass smog but my dad had a flat bottom boat that had a big block blown injected alcohol motor in it so i would run 20% methanol, then after passing smog i would fill it up so it wouldn't lean the motor out, worked every time. Any more than 20% you could risk leaning the motor. I have to smog my '69 c10 for the first time next week, that's my plan.
too the max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #17
Rooster's 67

How to adjust a motor to pass smog testing depends on the standards you are trying to meet and what portion of those standards you fail. I am master ASE certified with an L1 certification and used to do state certified emission repairs here in Dallas co. there is more to it than jsut waving a magic bottle or adding higher octane fuel. Everyone is making valid comments on possible cures for failures of "smog" tests. just dont under stand why its fixing it. Temperature and mixture (in the cylinder) are two of the largest contributors to what comes out the other end. if your testing for HC, CO, and NoX then you have to be running a good balance of timing,temperature, and mixture. and oil burning has to be extreme for most machines to pick up any appreciable amount of HC from it.(to the point of missfire then it smells unburnt fuel, ie: HC.)
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
KrazyRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
How to adjust a motor to pass smog testing depends on the standards you are trying to meet and what portion of those standards you fail. I am master ASE certified with an L1 certification and used to do state certified emission repairs here in Dallas co. there is more to it than jsut waving a magic bottle or adding higher octane fuel. Everyone is making valid comments on possible cures for failures of "smog" tests. just dont under stand why its fixing it. Temperature and mixture (in the cylinder) are two of the largest contributors to what comes out the other end. if your testing for HC, CO, and NoX then you have to be running a good balance of timing,temperature, and mixture. and oil burning has to be extreme for most machines to pick up any appreciable amount of HC from it.(to the point of missfire then it smells unburnt fuel, ie: HC.)
The Lucas Oil mixed with gas in your tank helps seal the valves and rings in the combustion chamber. The better the seal, the better your smog numbers.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
Another thing is it depends on how far from passing the standards the vehicle is, if the vehicle is only over by a small amount then the alcohol will do the job (I know it works I got a few cars through Calif Smog tests when I was a smog tech assistant). If the car is over by more that a few percentage points then your gonna have to do some work. Oil change is a bigger deal due to the raw fuel in the old oil in the crankcase, does not need to be synthetic just clean fresh oil. 87 oct is a faster burning and will show a small improvement in testing but it will not cure a vehicle that has a vacuum leak or a screwed up carburator. Best thing is to due the engine service and tune up, fresh plugs and lean the engine down to a very minor lean shake, turn the timing back to the most retarted that is allowed (cleans up HC quite well to a point), and turn the idle speed up to the highest allowable level. When you get home your gonna have to retune the engine to get the proper performance out of it anyway.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #20
customcruiser72

Posted via Mobile Device
customcruiser72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #21
customcruiser72

If high hydrocarbons then boost idle speed to 1100. Works every year for me
Posted via Mobile Device
customcruiser72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #22
wldcat10

KrazyRay- I'm going to try this being that it would be the cheapest/easiest thing to do.

Warrens69GMC- Thanks for the heads up, if all else fails might have to head down there to see "Silver"!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
Hardesty454

Well, from what I can tell... There have been alot of shade tree expressions listed here. The best thing would be to put a new air filter on it. Plugs (perferrably some hot burning ones, t45's would prob do it), run a quick bottole of G2P though the gas tank and before you fill back up throw in a bottle of upper cylinder lube. This will ensure you cylinders are clean and lubed (so nothing gets by them) and also the intake burn and air are at opt level. Another thing you may consider is throwing a fuel filter in there, maybe before the carb.

Let us know if you pass.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
KrazyRay

wldcat10- Good luck with the test and make sure you are at normal operating temp.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
wldcat10

Update - So I had time yesterday to take my truck into emissions. Stop and picked me up a bottle of the Lucas fuell injector cleaner and dropped it in my tank. Filled it up with 8 gallons of fresh 87 oct and headed to emissions. I would haul @$$ whenever I had the chance on the way over there. For some reason it felt a little more smoother and a lot more responsive when I push the gas pedal (could be my mind playing tricks on me?). Anyway I got there and there was no line so straight to the inspection I go! I PASSED! Man such a relief! Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out with different suggestions/tips! I'm going to be adding a bottle of lucas fuel treatment after every tune up now!
Posted via Mobile Device