The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Steelefx4

Build Ideas?

So I am in the planning stages of my build....picked up a 1960 C10 for 800 bucks a few months back....

Here is the list of "For Sures"....but there are some things that I was hoping I could get input on from seasoned builders..

1. Porterbuilt front C4 dropmember
2. Baer front brakes
3. Smooth firewall (already purchased)
4. 1964 frame (already purchased)
5. Full fiberglass front end

Things yet to decide upon:

1. engine//running gear....I am thinking of going with a 2010 camaro engine and tranny....this would give me nearly 500hp (with a simple cam change)..and a sweet 6 speed auto....(a salvaged camaro is running around 12k)....getting the complete salvaged camaro, eliminates the issues of transplanting the 6 speed into another vehicle because there currently is no stand alone management for this transmission.....
---other options include the chevy 572 with the 620 horsepower...(13k just for engine..no tranny), and I am not sure about the driveability....and a minus goes to it being carbed...
---the last option (and most expensive) would be a built 2JZ GTE....3.0 Toyota Supra engine....not really leaning towards this as it's 20k, and while the 800hp//750 tq and being completely streetable sounds great...it's expensive and I think I would be hacking into the integrity of chevy by putting a toyota engine in it....

2. the other thing is that I don't really care about being able to lay the frame on the ground....so I am thinking of fabricating up some mounts for the front Porterbuilt so that I can use some coil overs.....coil overs would also be used on the rear end.

My main objective is to make this a completely sweet daily driver that handles really well....

Your inputs are welcome!!!

SteeleFX4
Steelefx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
4x4fab

Re: Build Ideas?

I think that sounds like an awesome plan. Myself, i'd go with the Camaro transplant. Where are you getting the fiberglass front end?
4x4fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Steelefx4

Right now I am heavily leaning towards the camaro idea.....lots of power, 6 speed tranny....

Here is the link for the front end....was thinking about their fiberglass doors too, but I don't know how they would hold up if I decided to go with suicide doors....not sure how I would get it all connected given that every other thread that I found about suicide doors has them welded to the door itself...

http://www.usbodysource.com/

They also have rear fiberglass fenders for the shortbed...I am planning on getting those too.....I might even get the 3+ inch wide ones so I can fit some 335 or 355 wide tires under the rear end

Jake
Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If your gonna build a 2j, put it in something like a 70's or early 80's era japanese car, doing the jap muscle car thing. I think its a cool motor but would look better at home in something like a Celica-Supra or similar.
The 2010 'maro motor would be slick if you can figure out the trans control as you mentioned. Does the ecm control that, or does it have a BCM/TCM that is seperate?

As for the USBODY link, some people have complained as to the quality, especially with the glass hoods.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Steelefx4

The 6 speed tranny would only work if you get a full car and pull the entire wiring loom....that's actually what my plan is....pretty much take the salvaged camaro and put the running gear and electrical into the truck.....

For the fiberglass front end....I might be rethinking that, it's a ways down the road before I have to make that decision, I need to get the Camaro and get the transplant completed....I am almost for sure going that route now after reading some more about the potential they are getting from the new 6.2's....
Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
jimmydean

I have always wanted to run the C4 dropmember, that thing is pure art. I love it!
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote