The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
harold64

door ajustments

dos any body know if you can adjust the hidges on a 64 c10? or do i have to replace the hinge pin, what to do ect. thanks for the help. the doors seem to sag, and you have to pull the door up to close it all the way.
harold64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: door ajustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold64 View Post
dos any body know if you can adjust the hidges on a 64 c10? or do i have to replace the hinge pin, what to do ect. thanks for the help. the doors seem to sag, and you have to pull the door up to close it all the way.
The hinge pins may well be worn out, but you can certainly adjust the hinges. Adjustments are similar 60-66. Per the 1960 Chevy Shop Manual:

Door adjustment may be accomplished at two places; at the hinge straps to door panel and at the hinge cage to pillar. Before adjustment is made on any door, however, the striker plate and wedge should be loosened or removed. The door can be moved fore, aft, up and down at the hinge pillar and the door can be moved in and out at the hinge to door panel. Move door as required and tighten bolts to 20-25 ft. lbs.

The door should have a normal clearance of 5/32” around the entire outer lip of door except at the bottom where it should be ¼” from the door sill. The door should be adjusted in the opening so the edge of the door across the top and also at the lock side is parallel with the body opening as nearly as possible.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
harold64

hey there markebol! thanks for the fast response. will get a set of hidge repair kit for each door just in case. will check out adjustments when i get the " bad bowtie" back out of hibernation in the spring. thanks again, have fun, and bring on spring!
harold64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
DaddyMack
Wide Eyed User

I am having a heck of a time lining up my doors, I am thinking of just upgrading to bear claws and be done with it... I would rather keep the stock, but....

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=294723

Final (as final can be ) Pics: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393441
DaddyMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
ol Curt

I am ready to align mine and am always a bit confused. I understand which are for in/out and up/down/forward/back, but all I read seems to indicate to only loosen one hinge at a time and move it. It would seem both would have to be loose for the door to move.

What am I missing?
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
ol Curt

Anybody that can help me understand this?
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
rideblue00

Both sets do not have to be loose. But they shouldnt be really tight. Work with one hinge at a time. I only put 2 bolts in on both halves of the hinge. I have one bolt snug and one less snug. Which allows for some movement.Its just trial an error until the door is centered. Everybody gets excited about loosening hinges. Just loosen the bolts enough to move it around and dont let it fall into the body and chip the paint. 1/4 inch gap at bottom and 1/8 to 5/32 around the sides and top. Or whatever looks centered. I have found several trucks to have a tight gap at the point where the driprail is at the edge of the windshield(64-66). Thats all i know so far.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
neto

thanks for posting this information. I needed it.
neto is offline   Reply With Quote