The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Ms Bright

Need Suggestions! Engine/tranny suggestions; V-8, 350hp

I'm building a '68 SWB for a daily driver. I'm looking for power when I need it, ok gas mileage, and an engine that'll look real good under the hood. I've been leaning towards a Ramjet 350 (coolness factor mostly...) but the more I research it, the less I think I'm going to like it. I want a V-8, around 350hp. I already have a rebuilt 3.73 posi rear end and 20" wheels. Besides the frame being bagged and AccuAir system bought, I am starting from scratch. I'm kinda redneck and like to get on it on occasion and won't want to be embarrassed. Any suggestions?
Ms Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: Need Suggestions! Engine/tranny suggestions; V-8, 350hp

I'd find a vortec 350 out of a truck (through 99?) or van (through 2003?), freshen it up, put on the serpentine system, and run an auto overdrive transmission and call it good.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
HARJO

I've got a similar setup to what you're thinking about.

I have a ramjet that's carb'd with a basic edelbrock manifold and 1406 (bought the truck/engine without the electronics, manifold, etc.) and I love it.

That engine has plenty of power to break tires loose on my lifted longbed 4x4 with a t350, 35" tires and 3.73's w/posi. My uncle has a ramjet with all of the intake, electronics and such in his hotrod and loves it as well.

I'd suggest as a daily driver getting a a 700r4 trans, overdrive surely ought to help the mpg's (I think that's my next big upgrade).
4x4 conversion, 6" lift, 37" GoodYear Military OZ's, carb'd GMPP RamJet 350, Be Cool aluminum radiator, Flex-o-Lite electric fans, March accessory brackets, T350 trans, NP205, 4 wheel disc, fuel cell... etc.
HARJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Ms Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARJO View Post
...I have a ramjet that's carb'd with a basic edelbrock manifold and 1406 (bought the truck/engine without the electronics, manifold, etc.) and I love it.
HARJO; one reason I've leaned away from the Ramjet is that the specs recommend an in-tank fuel delivery system and say carbureted systems won't meet the needs of the fuel injection system. What carb are you running? Have you had any problems with vapor lock and did you install high pressure fuel lines?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
HARJO

That is correct, the fuel pressure will have to be much higher that what came on these carb'd trucks and it'd have to have a return line to accommodate the ramjet as delivered. Which means that your fuel pump has to put out 60-ish psi (i can't remember exactly what it called for in the manual I downloaded) and if I remember right it calls for a return line back to the tank. This means high pressure lines obviously, either a compatible fuel tank out of a newer truck or a fuel cell and either hard lines or steel braided.

I should have disclosed that I have kind of an odd-ball setup and had to chase a lot of gremlins out when I bought the truck to get it to run at all. It came with an external EFI fuel pump, with rubber lines out of the fuel cell and straight into the carb... which ended up blowing out every hole on the demon carb the PO installed.

Right now, I have a bottom sump fuel cell, with an external 8psi pump, braided steel lines and a fuel pressure regulator set at 6 or 7 PSI. I've got a straight out of the box Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb. This setup has worked very well for me.
4x4 conversion, 6" lift, 37" GoodYear Military OZ's, carb'd GMPP RamJet 350, Be Cool aluminum radiator, Flex-o-Lite electric fans, March accessory brackets, T350 trans, NP205, 4 wheel disc, fuel cell... etc.

Last edited by HARJO; 03-01-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
HARJO

Also, if you need it for reference... the manuals are available on the Summit website under the ram jet product listing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12499120/?rtype=1
Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
steelhorse

I would get a 6.0 out of a new model and put a carb setup on it.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
HARJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
I would get a 6.0 out of a new model and put a carb setup on it.
That's also a pretty good idea! A cheap option along those lines is the LS based iron block 6.0 liter LQ9 or LQ4 Caddy/Chevy/GMC truck engines. They tend to be quite a bit cheaper than the true LS engines, but then you have a lot of LS based upgrades available to you. The LQ4 is all iron and the LQ9 has aluminum heads on iron block.

There are a handful of companies that make stand-alone harnesses for them, similar to the Ram Jet. Might save you a few dollars, but cost a few more headaches. I had grandiose ideas of putting the engine out of my wrecked 2000 GMC into a 68 chevelle a few years back.

There is a ton of info out there on those kind of swaps. The deals are out there on craigslist and in the wrecking yards.

Last edited by HARJO; 03-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Ms Bright

Everything on my truck (except the rebuilt rear end) is going to be new. I've been saving quite awhile for this so, although expense is a consideration, it's not my determining factor. Dependability is 1st, having a SWEEET ride is 2nd. Expense is a bit further down my list. I mostly want to be able to get in, turrn it on and drive it. Every time.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
brad_man_72
the boat guy

5.3-6.0 4l80e sounds like what your looking for. Keep the efi, use factory pm tuned and hacked to get rid of emissions and anti theft. You will have to upgrade plenty of stuff but eerything you'll need is available and easy to find. A junkyard engine looks just like a new one after a coat of paint.
I painted mine. Charcoal metallic for the block and intake, silver metallic on te alminum parts and te serpentine casting flat black. Shines like a diamond in a goats as.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

buy a winter wreck with the power you want ( check your local wrecking comp. alot get left behind and can be bought for the price of the recovery) Then you have all the parts you want when your done raping it turn it in for scrap steel and get a good bit back!!

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote