The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
xero_gto

where to buy new engine

Officialy in June I will start the restoration on the old 70'. Thats when i get back from the middle east and will have some extra cash available. I've been looking around online, summit, jegs, ect. for possible engine combos. Now this is of course all opinion based but, what/where would yall go to get an engine say anywhere from a built up 350/383 to maybe even a big block. Now i dont wanna spend tons on this considering i have an entire truck to restore, and around a 5-6k budget to get me started. If yall don't mind please point me in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
DeputyDan

Re: where to buy new engine

I am in the same boat as you. I originally was going to go with a Blueprint or or Patriot Performance engine off Jegs or Summit. Since researching them I have come across some who have been happy with them but most say run far far away. One guy even said the parts listed in his Patriot engine weren't in the engine. He said he contacted Patriot and they were shocked (or caught) and sent him new parts.

I have on the other hand heard good things about the Pace Performance engines as well as the GM engines sold through Scoggins Dickey. My brother spent 6,000 with enginebuilders and got a engine that is out of this world! They video all parts of the build, sent him progress reports, and let him purchase the engine on layaway. The started building it with $500 down then when he made his final payment shipped it.

I chose to have my block machined and am putting new piston heads, cam, intake, heads, and carb on mine. Mine will come in around 3,500 and I will know what is in it.
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
hugger6933

Why not go to the people that built the motor in the first place. GM has a lot of different crate options from stock to mild to hot. Alot if not all have warranty good at any GM dealer. Thank you for your service to our country and for keeping me safe. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I say LSx! 6.0l, huh?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Best thing for you to do is to go to the top of this page and type the word crate into the google search box, click the circle in front of 67-72chevytrucks.com and click on the Google button. I hope you have a lot of time...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
6772owner
Gearhead

Junk yard or local engine shop? I would look for an LS1/LS2 to compete with that Goat!

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
CHP c-10

Hey there xero gto,
I am just down the road from you in Napa and wanted to say hi and share my experiences w/ engines.
I bought a Big block complete engine assy for my camaro from Shafiroff (shafiroff.com - "540 ci HHR Ultrastreet"). Lots of positive feedback before I purchased, and am very satisfied. Very strong and has been running great. I optioned the build and used top of the line parts. It wasn't cheap, but it WAS less money than every other top shelf builder.
Another highly regarded 'LOCAL' builder that was my second choice is Mike Lewis in Santa Rosa area. He is very highly regarded in the various chevelle forums. I spoke with him many time and he was great to deal with.

I bought another complete engine assy from The Engine Factory (They have both ford and chevy engines). My engine is a 408 stroked windsor (yeah, I know... Ford-sorry) used in a 65 cobra replica. They had many satisfied customers and were great to deal with. I have since found a few other quality builders that are a little less money for the same-ish Ford motors. BUT I will say, this motor absolutely rips!
For my 68 c-10 I stumbled across a 5.3L from a 2005 chevy truck that was too good to pass up. Being wired up as we speak...
If I hadn't found this donor, I was just about to buy the 'power crate 350' from yearone. 400 hp 400 lb for less than 3k!. Top it with FAST ez -efi system and an auto O/D tranny was my plan. Several happy customers and it seems like the bargain of the century. I searched all over and could not find any bad reviews or warnings about this engine.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Jonathan
CHP c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you want a "new" motor, buy a GM crate motor from Summit Racing. Find the best price on the net and they will match it. They usually have everything they sell in stock. The GM "Fastburn 385" is a LOT of bang for the buck.

Beyond that, I suggest you look at an LSx conversion.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
FLDBRED

If you want a HP smallblock Year One has a 400Hp FOR 2,900 BUCKS! It"s a lot of motor for the money! If BigBlock is your thing,Mark Jones at VORTECPRO,is real hard to beat! You can get a 468 for something like 5,000!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If you want a "new" motor, buy a GM crate motor from Summit Racing. Find the best price on the net and they will match it. They usually have everything they sell in stock. The GM "Fastburn 385" is a LOT of bang for the buck.

Beyond that, I suggest you look at an LSx conversion.
sorry I'd find the prices for a g.m. crate you want, at summit,pace,SD
then walk into the local g.m. chevy dealers in your area..
you'll get the same price and no shipping, and while face to face with the parts guys, let them know your just back from deployment, and most will go out of their way to help you..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
you'll get the same price and no shipping, and while face to face with the parts guys, let them know your just back from deployment, and most will go out of their way to help you..
I'll second this.. Plus you'll establish a local contact with the parts folks for those parts you'll need in the future.

Don't neglect the LS conversion. If you have time to shop around after your return you'll most likely run across a deal too good to pass by.

Thanks for your service and stay safe.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
todd99

I had my machine shop build me a 03' 4 bolt roller 350 with Lt1 heads and a lot of trick parts for only $2000. If you go into your local machine shop and BS with them they might cut you a deal. My roommate had the same shop build him a 383 stroker with custom heads for only $3500.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
HARJO

Since you're in Vacaville, you could consider the crate engines sold through Summit and drive over the hill to Reno/Sparks to pick it up. Might save a few bucks on shipping and the retail showroom is fun to walk through.
4x4 conversion, 6" lift, 37" GoodYear Military OZ's, carb'd GMPP RamJet 350, Be Cool aluminum radiator, Flex-o-Lite electric fans, March accessory brackets, T350 trans, NP205, 4 wheel disc, fuel cell... etc.
HARJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #14
xero_gto

Hey, thanks for all the feedback!! Also, thanks to those who thanked me for my service, i wanna thank yall for supporting the troops. I'm still debating on if i wanna build it myself, or just go crate, i know a guy at one of the local GM dealerships so he would fix me up if i went that route. But, i also have the drive to do it myself, and be proud that the engine in my truck was designed by me. I have some thoughts about the direction i wanna go in. Still trying to work out the details.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #15
xero_gto

Here are somethings i have thrown together, please give me some input. It's been a long time since ive built an engine; i also still need to pick a cam, etc. Give me your inputs. I'm also keeping options still open for crate engines if i find a killer deal, and i cant forget about an LSx conversion if i find a good deal.

http://www.summitracing.com/users/wi...d-beeaeb35d8b2
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero_gto View Post
Hey, thanks for all the feedback!! Also, thanks to those who thanked me for my service, i wanna thank yall for supporting the troops. I'm still debating on if i wanna build it myself, or just go crate, i know a guy at one of the local GM dealerships so he would fix me up if i went that route. But, i also have the drive to do it myself, and be proud that the engine in my truck was designed by me. I have some thoughts about the direction i wanna go in. Still trying to work out the details.
trust me, building your own is fun,, but if you don't have the tools,
to check the machineshops work,, or a quality machine shop near you..
then crate is the way to go...
I've done both... my 355 I did... my 496 is me..
but the 454 was a chate.. I could not build it for what I paid...
good luck
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
gkesseru

I've been successful on every engine that I've built, however they ware all missing one thing: a warranty.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
This is exactly what I did (except for the deployment thing...I'm just a little old for them to believe that), three days later I picked it up, no shipping charges but, I had to pay sales tax (something I would'nt have had to pay thru Summit). The price for the engine, including tax, was the same as the price, with shipping, from Summit.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #19
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Why not go to the people that built the motor in the first place. GM has a lot of different crate options from stock to mild to hot. Alot if not all have warranty good at any GM dealer. Thank you for your service to our country and for keeping me safe. Jim
Exactly, start with the GM performance dealers such as http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ in Oregon and check what they have new and go from there.
Usually there is a GM performance dealer that sells and often stocks the parts in most major areas. Skoggin-Dickey http://sdparts.com/ is probably more famous though.
Find the engine that you like and get a price and then see what your local GM performance dealer will do for you. And have them bring it in with a stock order if you buy one so you don't get burned on the freight.

This one would be my choice for a street driven small block in one of our trucks http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...V8s/HT_383.cfm Around 4500 at most places P/N 12499101

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-05-2011 at 12:22 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Exactly, start with the GM performance dealers such as http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ in Oregon and check what they have new and go from there.
Usually there is a GM performance dealer that sells and often stocks the parts in most major areas. Skoggin-Dickey http://sdparts.com/ is probably more famous though.
Find the engine that you like and get a price and then see what your local GM performance dealer will do for you. And have them bring it in with a stock order if you buy one so you don't get burned on the freight.

This one would be my choice for a street driven small block in one of our trucks http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...V8s/HT_383.cfm Around 4500 at most places P/N 12499101
I agree here...been there.

I hand designed my build, looking for a stock #'s 327 LJ with up-graded internals.
Nothing radical but wanted a stock engine + performance goodies.
I went as far as driving my block for its baking, did my own assembly and still
hit 4 G's by the end of the project.

Do it again? Nope. I'd buy a GM performance crate, get the warranty,
not price shop but stick with local professionals.

GM knows GM and backs their products.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
eagleuh1

I bought a "new" 2005 5.3 with all accessories and computer and harness from Schramm Auto parts in Michigan for 2300 back in late 2005. New meaning had less than 100 miles, and looked it. Still running strong with over 20,000 miles miles now in my 68 C20. Would do over again from them. Packaged and shipped to my place in Arkansas for 2400. Love the power, milage and ease of working on the 5.3. Starts in the coldest weather the first try too. Good luck however you go though, and again, Thanks for your service to US. Jim.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote