The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
70 aquamarine

tubbing the 69

Anyone ever tub their 67-72 chevy truck pics and measurements would be helpful thanks !
70 aquamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
bmfpeterson

Re: tubbing the 69

are you going to cut on the frame and tub or just take out of the bed?

I just cut my bed out and I'm leaving the frame stock. I have trailing arms and my plan is to get the biggest tire in there possible. I am trying for a 31x18x20????

I asked this question a few times for tire sizes and mostly just got he answer measure and fit!

here is a pic of how much I cut out of the bed:
Attached Images

bmfpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
tonypaul

Are you going to be useing a 4 link or ladder bar set up? Theres not going to be any real set measurments due to eveyone almost runs a different lenght setup on there rear end. I have done about 5 tubb jobs but not on a full size truck, only a s10, camaro, vega and a monza, el camino, mustang. I find its always best for me to start with the tire and work from there. Next get the offset of the rim you want, then build the lenght in the rearend and then set up the suspension and brakes.

I have started the tub job my 68 GMC swb, but now I have decided against it. I already had the narrowed rear end from another project but I couldnt find the rims that I wanted to use. I was going to have to run some 15x15 Weld (draglites) wheels, and Im just tired of that look. Now if I could find some affordable 17" or 18" or even bigger torque thruster style rims that are 14" or 15" wide with a 3 inch backspace I would do it. Now Im just going to find another rearend that I can use and run a 18x10 or 18x11 rim on.
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
Are you going to be useing a 4 link or ladder bar set up? Theres not going to be any real set measurments due to eveyone almost runs a different lenght setup on there rear end. I have done about 5 tubb jobs but not on a full size truck, only a s10, camaro, vega and a monza, el camino, mustang. I find its always best for me to start with the tire and work from there. Next get the offset of the rim you want, then build the lenght in the rearend and then set up the suspension and brakes.

I have started the tub job my 68 GMC swb, but now I have decided against it. I already had the narrowed rear end from another project but I couldnt find the rims that I wanted to use. I was going to have to run some 15x15 Weld (draglites) wheels, and Im just tired of that look. Now if I could find some affordable 17" or 18" or even bigger torque thruster style rims that are 14" or 15" wide with a 3 inch backspace I would do it. Now Im just going to find another rearend that I can use and run a 18x10 or 18x11 rim on.
Coy's has a 20x14 w/4 to 4.5" backspacing.

Stock truck arm set-ups w/the short housing (6x-69's & early 70's) can get a 18.5 on a 15" wheel using an un-narrowed housing & the right back-spacing. The bumpstop brackets need to be removed & the e-brake cables routed (or eliminated) so they don't interfere.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Coy's has a 20x14 w/4 to 4.5" backspacing.

Stock truck arm set-ups w/the short housing (6x-69's & early 70's) can get a 18.5 on a 15" wheel using an un-narrowed housing & the right back-spacing. The bumpstop brackets need to be removed & the e-brake cables routed (or eliminated) so they don't interfere.
I checked out the coys, but I was still going to be 3" shorter than I wanted to be and they are not really all that affordable for me right now with all that Im putting in to the truck right now. That money for those rims can go a long ways toward other needed items at this point. For me, right now just a nice set of 20" Boss 338's will be just fine.... but man that deep tub look would be so nice....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
70 aquamarine

thanks for the replys i was thinking about cutting the frame and the bed both and shorting the rear end and eventually runing a 4 link system
70 aquamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
rdnk07

hey man there is a guy on here just look up "my sorta build thread" in the search box and he gives excellent detail the tire size and everything... he fit 31x18.5 on her
rdnk07 is offline   Reply With Quote