The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #26
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Truck is embarassingly slow

Generally in car guy talk, it refers to someone who can't shift gears or launch properly
And in normal person talk, jerk is a person like my boss.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #27
rbagley

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
so the QUICKER the truck accelerates the more force the trucks seat applies to your body pushing it foreward..... Unless you're in reverse when hitting the gas.
Just to tie all the physics together, and hoping not to look like a jerk (no pun intended), quick and fast are two words that mean the same thing. We're talking about velocity (change in position/time) and acceleration (change in velocity/time).
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #28
brad_man_72
the boat guy

if quick and fast mean the same thing then how can the faster car lose a drag race to a quicker car?

fast usually refers to a measure of speed. Quick usually refers to acceleration. Most people don't know or care and use the terms however they want. Reminds me of marketing people selling turbo toothbrushes and razors.
I'm done back to getting this guy a tune up.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbagley View Post
...hoping not to look like a jerk (no pun intended...
As long as you aren't my boss hole, I'm not calling you a jerk.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #30
69 Okie Truck

Quick and fast aren't mathematical terms. They are descriptive words that can mean whatever you want them to mean.

Using adverbs and adjectives to describe physics is like using emotional terms in a logical argument. In other words, its like arguin' with a woman and simply can't be done to anyones satisfaction.
69 Okie Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #31
WorkinLonghorn

Made sure the secondaries are opening on that Q-jet. If they aren't, than you have in effect a very small 2-barrel carb.
Then check that the ignition timing is advancing as the RPMs increase. It should continue advancing until moderately high rpms.If not take the distrib. cap off and free up the weights and lub them sparingly and work them back and forth etc. Try advancing the initial timing and see if it runs better (without knocking).
Then at a fast idle or higher cup your hand over the exhaust pipe(s) and see if you have a steady vibration or a BOP,Bop, BOP at a slower pace .If you feel the latter then you have a miss of a dropped cylinder and you need to get busy finding out why. A compression test would be useful. Plug check,plug wire check etc also.
I am assuming you have good points with the dwell set correctly or an HEI distrib.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
treveiger

Quick= is how fast it takes off which is torque
Fast= is top speed which is horsepower
Thats how i always knew it. With a lower rear end youll get off the line faster but also top out faster, with a higher rear end youll get off the line slower but your top speed will be higher.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #33
TJSc20

today i went and got a bracket to hold my throttle cable back, it turned out my secondaries were not opening. i decided to go test it out. on the way my torque converter started slipping and not ten seconds later i was stranded, i had this problem about six months ago when i put a new tranny in. a month ago my alternator went out, about 2 weeks ago my starter quit, a week after that my voltage regulator went out, this truck is starting to piss me off, i admit i like working on it more than driving it but i would like to be able to drive to school now and then.

Last edited by TJSc20; 03-07-2011 at 12:34 AM.
TJSc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #34
TJSc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardtruckin View Post
Plain and simple you have 4.56 or 5.13 gears. the power valve sounds fine and if the trans was on its way out the fuel mileage would would be far worse, like 5 or 6 mpg. I have a 70 half ton with 3.08 gears and when the trany went south I got about 6 or 7 mpg. if you get bigger tires or change the rear end gears it will get better but right now you could pull your house off its foundation!
well i was getting about 8mpg driving conservatively and that was on primaries only
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #35
treveiger

Ya thats what happens with these old trucks, at least the parts are cheap!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #36
TJSc20

well oreillys gave me the wrong torque converter not that i am suprised, so i ended up pulling the tranny three times and the torque converter i had laying around did not grab. i did however, get a brand new turbo 350 free so it will soon be going again. i found that two turns of the driveshaft is one turn of the wheel.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #37
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSc20 View Post
i found that two turns of the driveshaft is one turn of the wheel.
It sounds like a 4.10 to me.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote