The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
vjjack04

Re: Opinion on leaving out the parking brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I guess you didn't read the above post.

Think about it: You have resto rodded a truck, upgraded the brakes to dual reservoir etc. and intentionally didn't hook up an emergency brake. You posted on a blog you weren't going to, others said you should. Now you get in an accident and somebody gets hurt. Pretty much the worse lawyer in the country could make a really good case of intentional neglegence against you.

Saying "if you have an automatic you don't need one" is just silly. How many automatic trucks have been built since the 1940's by automotove manufacturers that didn't have a "parking / emergency" brake? None.

Hydraulic brake systems are mechanical devices, they can fail. You need a back up system and that system is the parking / emergency brake. If you don't do it for yourself do it for those riding with you, and for those on the highway.
I see the point you are making, but don't share your perspective. To each his own. I saw the story and understand what they are saying (it was difficult, but I got it). It is like seat belts and helments (to me). It should be the owners choice. Again, I have never pulled the "emergency brake" in an emergency and really don't think one should. It would make the rear lock up and potentially slide around. But you guys can do what you choose (obviously).

Interesting that you are concerned about others riding with you; I am not. I often smoke the tires in my Corvette and race through neighborhoods hoping to hit small children and the elderly...just kinding. I care about folks too, but I still don't believe it is neccesary to have an "emergency" brake. Mechanical things fail is a matter of fact, I appreciate your reminder; I didn't know that? (more sarcasm). Do what you think is right. I for one don't believe an automatic trans vehicle needs an emergency/parking brake. It is not a "back up system" because using a brake that locks up the rear wheels at (lets say) 60 MPH is not a good thing. Also, if you are driving around in a vehicle with questionable brakes, look at that first.

And your analogy about the litigation is goofy; what precidence have you for this? I am willing to take the risk that some savy lawyer would (not) go to this website and research the topics associated with my perspective in the event of a law suite. Anyway, this is the last on this topic I will post.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
55dude

this shouldn't even come into question wether to have one or not, having experienced "brake failure" and ending up with my front end smashing through the front of a small grocery store late one night made a believer out of me because had i not had it i would have crushed the clerk and possible killed him! and if you think pulling a vehicle into park with auto trans will stop you: WRONG! a parking pawl is designed to shear under certain conditions and won't stop you. install one!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #28
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjack04 View Post
Again, I have never pulled the "emergency brake" in an emergency and really don't think one should. It would make the rear lock up and potentially slide around. But you guys can do what you choose (obviously)....

I for one don't believe an automatic trans vehicle needs an emergency/parking brake. It is not a "back up system" because using a brake that locks up the rear wheels at (lets say) 60 MPH is not a good thing.

Anyway, this is the last on this topic I will post.
Using this logic my grandfather should have let his old Chrysler roll out into that intersection and get t-boned, possibly killing us and the other driver, that would have been better than possibly locking up the brakes and stopping the car.

The hand brakes most important function is to stop the car in the event the hydraulic brake system fails. There are numerous examples of other members using it just for that purpose in this very thread. Nobody can say that having it there for use in such a situation was not a good thing and possibly saved lives?

It's like everything else though, you have to have some basic common sense when you use it. To use a hand brake when the vehicle is in motion, a hand brake like the ones that are installed on the 60-66 trucks from the factory, you don't just yank it and lock up the rear tires. You depress the lock, keep it depressed, and pull on the handle enough to stop the truck, but not lock up the brakes. It's really a great design and works really well......

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #29
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Helmets and seat belts have nothing to do with this. If you don't want to wear those it is usually just you and your friends and family that have to deal with you being a melon head the rest of your life. You'll find who your friends are at that point as well. I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Not having an Ebrake now makes your car/truck a potential missile coming through an intersection and you'll be hurting MY friends and family.

This only becomes an emotional issue if you want to convince yourself you don't need one and it won't do you any good. Do some research and put something in you're willing to trust and understand how to use.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #30
Number 9

Back in the 40's people called them emergency brakes and often they saved the day.
Here in ca. they are required by law.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #31
Thadious

Not sure what the terrain looks like everywhere you've been, but around here we have quite the hills and often we have to park on them (well, the side of the road going up or down them ). I've often found in the past that even in gear, an tranny with enough rotational pressure on it will cause a minor amount of slippage as air always slowly leaks by a cylinder wall over time... In both auto and manual trannys I've seen the vehicle "lurch" when parked.

Regardless of where you live, IMO, leaving out an "emergency" or "parking" brake... whatever you want to call it = a bad idea... especially after you've spent alot of money building the truck only to leave something like this out.

Kind of reminds me of a friend that put a $5000 stereo system in his car, but couldn't be bothered to put a $200 alarm system in it. Let's just say that "someone" has a really nice system for real cheap, and it's not him (or me for that matter).

Ounce of prevention = a pound of cure, but to each his own. It's law here so wouldn't even be open for discussion.

Just my two bits,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
ya it is a classic

well frankly not having a parking/emergency brake is just dumb. ya if its just a show truck/trailer queen then its not needed. but if its a DD or even just a weekend driver then an emergency brake is a necessity. my brakes lock up all 4 tires of pavement in my 55 3200 (not bad for 56 year old technology) but the emergency brake dosent work and with the 4 speed manual its kinda annoying to have to turn it off when you get out and your on a slight hill. i know this is unsafe and sometime next week i will be fixing the problem. if my brakes were to fail and i hit and killed someone because i had no backup brakes.......... just sayin its not that much work and not that much money to save your life and the lives of others
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #33
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadious View Post
Not sure what the terrain looks like everywhere you've been, but around here we have quite the hills and often we have to park on them
I thought i saw a hill here once, but it turned out to be a rabbit hole.

for what its worth everyone ive worked out my rear brakes now.... I have an internal drum parking/emergency/slide-turn brake, and 11" discs.
nice thing is the passenger side parking brake line points out back, and the drivers side points forward... so i can run the passenger line around the back/bottom, and then the two lines can run parallel down the drivers side of the frame.. nice clean install.

thanks for the thoughts on the subject...
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote