The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
boucher racing

Re: Doing the T5 Transmission swap, a few questions

I recently swapped over from the 3 tree. I think I blew out the trans after a spirited drive, plus the turbo increased the power.

Since I am using the original bench seat and wanted a World Class T5, I found a WC and a non-WC from a S10. I then swapped the tailshaft extensions so that I could have the shifter location forward. I researched / read alot on the net and there is some bad info out there. My experience was that it was super simple swap, if you buy the right trans. I even bought an adapter plate and didn't even use it.

The WC bolted right up with the original bell housing and the input shaft on the WC was the exact same length. All I needed to do was buy a new 10.5" clutch with a 26 spline.

I had my driveshaft cut 3" to fit, around $90 with new joints. The difference in trans is night and day. I have to be on the interstate to even think about getting into 5th gear. I am very pleased.

Here is a pic of my trans, this is the freeze plug, in the front below the input shaft, if you have a WC.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587639
boucher racing is offline   Reply With Quote