The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Gene

Powersteering Gearbox question?

Hooked up mine yesterday and it turns semi-freely to the left, but acts like it isnt working at all when I turn to the right? Is this thing shot or what?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Powersteering Gearbox question?

May just have air in the system.Try jacking the front up and turning the wheel lock to lock with no weight on the wheels.Make sure you keep the reservior full while doing it.You will probably get a foam in the top that is the air working it's way out.

That would be my first step having seen numerous posts on the same type problem.It's still possible that the box is bad but I would try everything else first.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Gene

Re: Powersteering Gearbox question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
May just have air in the system.Try jacking the front up and turning the wheel lock to lock with no weight on the wheels.Make sure you keep the reservior full while doing it.You will probably get a foam in the top that is the air working it's way out.

That would be my first step having seen numerous posts on the same type problem.It's still possible that the box is bad but I would try everything else first.
I will definitely give that a try, I tried driving the truck around the yard turning both ways but didnt try it with no weight. I dont know anything about this gearbox, i took it off my donor truck that I got my axels from, a 91 Burb 4x4 and it sat with no hoses on it for a long period of time.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote