The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
jesse977

Water leaks into my cab..how do I keep water out!!

My truck does not have drip rails and so whenever I wash my truck or when it rains water leaks into the cab. Do I have to install the drip rails ( I rather not) or do I have to get a new weather seal? Do your trucks leak? If they dont how do you keep water out? I have a 74 swb, thanks
jesse977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
durty harry

Re: Water leaks into my cab..how do I keep water out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse977 View Post
My truck does not have drip rails and so whenever I wash my truck or when it rains water leaks into the cab. Do I have to install the drip rails ( I rather not) or do I have to get a new weather seal? Do your trucks leak? If they dont how do you keep water out? I have a 74 swb, thanks
You just answered you question .
I would put new door rubbers on and try that
Long bed Vortec 5.7
durty harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i had a similar issue ( but i put on a set of chrome drip rails to replace the ones the PO took off and once i put in new door seals the cab didnt leak water again

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

New door seals first, then check to see if your door is closing properly. You might need to adjust your door striker to make sure that your door is closing with proper clearance all around. Also, your door hinge pins may be worn out, causing your door to drop and not seal properly. Usually, you can move the striker to compensate for bad hinges to some extent (raise up the door when closing), but this does make the door more difficult to close (must be slammed.) Open your door and wiggle it up and down - if there is some play up and down, then you need new hinge pins. Note: when you put in new seals you will likely need to adjust your striker because the door will be kept farther away from the cab by the extra thickness of the new seals. I do like the drip rails because the keep sheets of water from running into the door gap in a heavy rain. Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
justinburnett

I got tired of being dripped on, and the rust it's causing on the floor/rocker. Couldn't afford a trim seal set so I yanked a pair of drip rails at a junkyard and put them on.

Having done that, I'd recommend getting the seals first. It just doesn't look right to me now. Granted if I have my window cracked it's not getting rain in as much but I liked the clean look from before. Oh well. Live and learn.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
lilpoindexter

My truck has drip rails, but I still got lots of water in it...Verify the door seal is good, if not replace it...it's easy, and you'll feel good about it...I replaced the door seals, vent widow rubber and all window seals with parts from Classic Parts....1000% better than the original, hard as glass original, cracked, dry, worn and battered OG 1978 rubber.
I don't have to wear ear-plugs to drive it on the freeway, either...not like a new car, but at least acceptable.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote