The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
GMCshorty

Headers for big block 4 spd

Hey everyone. I was wondering which headers to use in my 71 2wd. Its a tall deck big block with a super T-10 behind it. Is there any that wont have problems with the clutch linkage and stuff? Thank you.
GMCshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
ItsRandy

Re: Headers for big block 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCshorty View Post
Hey everyone. I was wondering which headers to use in my 71 2wd. Its a tall deck big block with a super T-10 behind it. Is there any that wont have problems with the clutch linkage and stuff? Thank you.
I just bought a set of Hookers for my big block 69. Clutch linkage problems were the least of my problems. Interfearance between the head bolts and the header flange and interfearance between the driver's side lower control arm proved to be bigger problems, once those two problems were solved the headers fit/look great.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Pondscum

which set of hooker headers did you get?

was wonderin because tryin to get all my parts together for when I convert my 67 C10from 250 i6 and 3 on the tree to a 454 and m20 muncie. While doing this I'm converting to disc brakes by doing a crossmember swap from a 78 burban that the bbc coming from.
Any help would be helpfull
Pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondscum View Post
which set of hooker headers did you get?

was wonderin because tryin to get all my parts together for when I convert my 67 C10from 250 i6 and 3 on the tree to a 454 and m20 muncie. While doing this I'm converting to disc brakes by doing a crossmember swap from a 78 burban that the bbc coming from.
Any help would be helpfull
Hooker part number 2841-1. Don't forget to get the correct big block motor mount stands. When Hooker (and most other header mfgrs.) build a set of headers they build them on a completely stock truck, stock iron heads, mounts etc. I had to have full length headers. The shorty or 3/4 length headers may be easier to install, however, the primary tube lengths become unequal which don't make as much horsepower as equal length full length headers.

Last edited by ItsRandy; 04-05-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
Hooker part number 2841-1. Don't forget to get the correct big block motor mount stands. When Hooker (and most other header mfgrs.) build a set of headers they build them on a completely stock truck, stock iron heads, mounts etc. I had to have full length headers. The shorty or 3/4 length headers may be easier to install, however, the primary tube lengths become unequal which don't make as much horsepower as equal length full length headers.
Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
GMCshorty

How far down do they hang below the frame? Would you have a pic from the side so we could see? Thanks
GMCshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCshorty View Post
How far down do they hang below the frame? Would you have a pic from the side so we could see? Thanks
Yes I have a picture. They hang pretty low. They have 3 1/2 inch collectors. The only headers I found, that were full length, that tucked up tighter were Doug's...they have been discontinued.
Attached Images