The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
vern350
like a rock

Replacing the 3.5" speakers in your square

With some of the dash removed for another job, I saw that my orginal speakers were in tough shape and sounded like it too. I decided to replace the 3.5" stockers with some JBL GTO328's which I purchased for $40. I didn't realize the bigger magnet and tweeter until they were in place in the orginal spot hitting the dash. I moved the speakers to underneath the dash but in the same location. I used the brackets from above but fliped them so the speakers were lowered but still held in place the same bracket and same holes but from the other side of the dash. Passenger side worked great, used the same holes and the tab went into the same spot, just had to bend the bracket slightly. Drivers side I had to drill a hole in the tab, which screwed into one of the orginal spots. Also on the drivers side, I had to use a bolt to hold the bracket to where the tab orginally goes. Dont mind the other holes I had to drill on another attempt to get these to work. The last picture is the passenger side. Pictures were taken from my iphone.
Attached Images

Last edited by vern350; 04-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
vern350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: Replacing the 3.5" speakers in your square

I used the same model JBL speakers in my doors...in 6x9 size...They're only 2ways, they replaced some swap meet brand 3 ways...but frankly, i'm a little disappointed by how "flat" my new speakers sound...they defintely have more detail than the old junk, but they just dont sound like they are "alive"...I'm hoping they will break in, and sound better.

EDIT...great color on your truck, by the way!

Last edited by lilpoindexter; 04-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote