The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
trapperjack

Re: Info on this 1971 GMC K20 from PNW

I bought a 72 IH Scout II, sight unseen, off the internet. Flew to Denver, handed over cash, got keys and title. Less than $1500. Drove it from Denver airport to dang near Austin, Texas. Had to stop in New Mexico to put a new alternator on. Other than that, it was go. It was rusted everywhere except the frame, but drove like a dream. It might be a waste of money, but it might be a diamond in the rough.
1968 Chevy 1/2 ton panel wagon, V8 and powerglide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483345
1978 Ford F250, beater stepside
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
2010 Chevy 4x4 plain jane work truck
trapperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: Info on this 1971 GMC K20 from PNW

I bought a '72 K/20 out of Colorado from a big classic car dealer with all the NSRA and other awards and endorsements. I got a zillion pictures and asked umpteen very specific questions,since I know these trucks inside out. The listing read "Drive anywhere". It was dang nice,loaded with options,rust free,and very original,which is all I cared. I was planning to fly out and drive it back,which I discussed with them. Then,because of time,I talked about running it down to Santa Fe to my sister's,flying home,and getting it when I had more time. Finally I decided to just have it shipped and be done with it. First,to get the truck off the transporter the guy had to start it in gear because it had no clutch. No biggy,I'll put a Centerforce dual friction in there since I planned some beefy mods anyway. When I went to gas it up I got about a mile up the road and turned back because at 40 mph the from tires were jumping around like a cat on fresh asphalt. The ball joints were way shot. So,I figured I'd run the back roads up to my shop and start right in on it. Maybe I just had to keep it under 40 or get up past it. Not a mile in the other direction is a steep hill. This truck was torquey with a 400,but 3/4 up the hill it was doggin' down so I went to shift down to third and it about stopped in it's tracks. I got out and felt the calipers and they about burnt my hand...ceased up like a gator jaw on a tourist's leg. I tore into it,new brakes,steering,clutch and then pieces of fatigued spring started falling out,so I put the lift and new tires on and had me one hella nice K/20. I just can't believe those people would have sent me on my 2,500 mile journey home in a truck that wouldn't have made it out of town. What a costly trip that would have been.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote