The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
1963chev

steering box/pump trouble

Hi, I bought and installed an aftermarket quick ratio steering box from CPP and hooked it up to the existing steering pump on my 350 cu in engine. I primed it good but the front of the steering box blew off while I was backing into the garage within 2 days. CPP covered it under warrenty and I installed the second steering box but I was nervous so I bought a rebuilt power steering pump. As I disconnected the old pump a small amount of rusty brown tranny fluid came out of the low pressure line before it flowed the nice clean red fluid that I had put in during both installs. Now this old pump had been completely drained and I used new fluid on both the box that blew up and on the second install. I had good pressure because you could turn the steering wheel with one finger. Doesnt the fluid circulate? How could I get dark rusty brown fluid in one spot right after shutting the engine off? Any help/ideas out there? thanks
1963chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: steering box/pump trouble

The only thing I can think of is you must have had some old fluid left in one of the lines. Perhaps the high pressure line. However you shouldn't be using transmission fluid for power steering. It is all hydrolic fluid, however the transmission fluid has additives that eat the seals in the pump and steering gear. Use power steering fluid. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
1963chev

Thanks, I have researched this ATF vs Power Steering fliud argument before and man I have heard both sides. I will go with PS fluid this time. Ever heard of a box blowing up? Does the fluid circulate or just pressure up? Ever heard of a pump putting out too much pressure? Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I've used the trans fluid before but went back to p.s. fluid on mine. Didn't encounter problems but I was concerned with the chemical additives of auto trans fluid like Wes mentioned.

Re. gear box blowing up and pump putting out too much pressure: Negative to both.

I've never heard of the gearbox blowing up but I'm sure if there was a defective part or assembly screw up it could happen. As for the pump putting out too much pressure, I don't believe that can happen either. You'd have to completely redisign the thing.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
1963chev

Thanks, so from both of your comments I'm thinking this really was a defective steering box and that I should be fine now. I will throw the new PS pump on just cause I have it and go back to PS Fluid. How am I gonna drain that gear box? I cant tear it off again! Can I mix fluids, ATF and PS, and then cirulate out the ATF?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
1963chev

A little more help please. I got the new PS pump installed and Circulated out the ATF and filled with PS Fluid but the wheels turn to the right noticably easier than to the left. When the front wheels are off the ground they even slowly drift to the right on their own. Any ideas on that?