The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
cobraffr

New 1948 Truck Project

I had been considering a classic Chevy truck project for quite a while. My brother found a fairly complete partially restored 1948 Chevy short bed on Ebay. In this case partially restored meant most of the parts are in boxes. The truck was in Dallas and I live in Houston. I worked out a deal with the owner and now it is home in my garage!

This will be my first truck. I have done a couple Cobra kit cars and a 1967 Mustang with my brother. I am looking forward to getting the project kicked off. I have 5 kids in the house along with a full time job that takes most of my time. The truck will be my "therapy".

Plans are to leave it looking original on the outside, but swap out the frame for a more modern suspension and swap out the straight six for a mild V8 with an automatic transmission. I like the classic styling, but want modern conveniences like AC and power steering.

I plan to reassemble the car back to stock to determine what I am missing. After that I will build a new chassis and drive train. Then I plan to transfer the body over to the new frame, test fit everything and then tear it down again for paint.

I am looking for a place to get ideas and suggestions so I thought I would try out this forum. I have had good success on forums getting information for my Cobra projects. I'm sure people have done similar truck projects and there is no need to make the same mistakes twice. Now if I can just figure out how the bed goes together I would feel much better. Also I don't think the original design called for a 2x4 to support the inner fenders and grill.

Here is the buildsite for my previous projects:
http://www.donnyt.freewebspace.com/

Donny
cobraffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: New 1948 Truck Project

Welcome Aboard Donny !

There's quite a bit of info floating around here, If ya can't find what ya need just ask and I'm sure someone will chime in.

Sounds like a sweet build, Nothing wrong with a stock appearing modern drivetrain vehicle.

We gotta see some pics of this beast even though it's in pieces....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
cobraffr

Re: New 1948 Truck Project

I have some pics on the website in my signature, but here is one from the trip home.

cobraffr is offline   Reply With Quote